Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
SailingDog: I am sure you can relate to this. I tried anchoring at Block Island with a Fortress and that sucker dragged all night until I motivated and dropped a proper plow. I would not recommend one of those for anything but keel iron for all of the reasons stated herein.
Craig: Great information!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Craig- Just a question... how do you get a LOA of 5 tonnes? LOA-Length Over All.... not a measure of displacement.
... rated at that LOA (26'), for a displacement of up to 5 tonnes ...

Thanks Surfesq.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 06-22-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Oops...

Must of missed the at when I read your post.

BTW, I'm very happy with my Rocna... got a 15 kg. model for a 28' tri.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2006

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts on storm anchoring a 35 ft. Catamaran on the Central East Coast of Florida? It's mostly mud bottom so I was thinking a Fortress FX-37 as primary and either using my 35 lb CQR and/or buying a 35 or 44 lb Delta as secondary(s). I have 3/4" 3 strand nylon with 40 ft. of 3/8" HT chain on one line for the primary and 25 ft. 3/8" proof coil for the secondary. Any thoughts on that setup? Should I consider using three anchors?
Old 07-03-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnrg
Any thoughts on storm anchoring a 35 ft. Catamaran on the Central East Coast of Florida? It's mostly mud bottom so I was thinking a Fortress FX-37 as primary and either using my 35 lb CQR and/or buying a 35 or 44 lb Delta as secondary(s). I have 3/4" 3 strand nylon with 40 ft. of 3/8" HT chain on one line for the primary and 25 ft. 3/8" proof coil for the secondary. Any thoughts on that setup? Should I consider using three anchors?
You shouldn't consider using three anchors any more than you should consider using two anchors; in other words less is better. One should always be enough except in the most extreme circumstances, and then two should be able to hold anything. The logic here being that you wouldn't want to be handling the size anchor that would be required if only one was to be used, because said extreme circumstances are not normal. If you "need" to add more, then you are using the wrong anchors, either in terms of type or size, or something is wrong with the rode set-up. You can't solve those problems by just adding anchors as the issues are fundamental and you need to back-up a bit.

Are you talking about rigging these anchors in tandem? Read the above posts again thoroughly.
  1. Tandem anchors should be of the same design or very similar. You are asking for trouble using widely varied types.
  2. Danforth-types (Fortresses) are to be avoided in any tandem rig on account of re-set and roll-stability issues, which get exacerbated once you introduce the complications of any dual rig. Having said that you would probably get away with it in soft mud. Still not ideal.
  3. No plow, including the Delta, works particularly well in soft mud. Too little fluke area.

Also get more chain. You're talking about 44lb anchors and only have 40' of chain, and none at all on your secondary? That's okay, if marginal, on a cat of your size for the most part, but not for storm anchoring.

Suggestions:
  1. Double the amount of chain. If you are talking about a tandem rig, you will also need about a boat-length of chain for between the two anchors (do NOT use rope). The latter does not have to be the same grade as the main rode, it can be lighter as it has to deal with only half the stress and there is no requirement for catenary.
  2. Dump the CQR, 33lbs is a bit small anyway and offers no fluke area for mud. Keep the Fortress despite its flaws; it's a good auxillary and is lightweight and easy to store. Then get two similar modern design anchors (not necessarily ours - consider Spade and others); perhaps 15Kg (33lbs) and 20Kg (44lbs), depending on the displacement of your cat which you don't state. The heavier pick you can use as your primary in normal conditions, and bring out the other for your storm anchor rig.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 07-03-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
I can only tell you what worked for me year before last in Miami - i have 40 Jeanneau and my primary anchor is a 44lb cqr with 70' of 3/8" chain and 250' of nylon 3/4" rode - the second anchor is a 55lb delta with 70' of 1/2" chain and 250' of nylon 3/4" 3 strand rode. I anchored in about 10' of water, i draft 4'11", and used both anchors at about a 20 degree angle and put out about 100' of total length. she did not move through 2 named storms - she did do a 360 as when i pulled the delta it's rode was wrapped around the cqr rode. the bottom by the was is mud - the delta came up fairly easily whereas the cqr was buried and took a bit to get it up.
good luck and remember the winds will come at your boat from at least 3 different directions - so you have to prepare well and try to guess which will be the strongest for the longest period of time - last year i set up for wilma assuming a strong prolonged west wind but it moved farther north and we got an all night east wind followed by a short intense south wind followed by an intense west wind.
imho you can not get to much anchor or chain
good luck
chuck and soulmates