Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2006

hastingsml is on a distinguished road
Advice on hurricane anchor.

I need an oversized anchor for riding out hurricanes in NC. I plan to put out two Delta plow anchors. I want one to be oversized and have been told to get one the next size too big.

The boat is 26' and weighs 6700 lbs. Should I go 22 lb or 35 lb.? I will be using chain and line rode.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with the 35 lb. I use a 33 lb. Rocna on my 28' trimaran. I hope you're using at least 20' of chain with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-09-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
As big as you can afford/carry-onboard/handle

35lb for a 26' is a good start.
Old 06-09-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Of course once you solve the problem of what kind of anchor to use, and how much chain (the chain should be sized to the anchor rather than to your boat size) then you need to deal with chafe and with the connections of your mooring points (cleats or chainlocks) to the boat.

For what is worth, Delta plow anchors are not the best way to go if you can get a properly set screw mooring or even mushroom anchor that is set well in advance of the storm. If you do decide to use Delta or plow anchors, they are probably best set in tandem rather than separately.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I use a Delta and CQR in normal weather and where 2 anchors are called for with tide or current BUT for a hurricane anchor in NC bottom I would go for a big Fortress. They have incredible holding power in sand/mud and can be stored broken down and assembled in 10 minutes when you get the red flags up! They recommend a short chain scope and nylon rode.
Old 06-10-2006

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I would not use a plow anchor. Their not good in sand. Don't use only 1 style of anchor and don't use only one. What type of bottom do you have?
If you are in sand and mud with no rocks or grass, I would use a huge danforth style anchor or two with alot of over sized chain (10 to 1)and 3 strand nylon snubbers.
If your area has rocks and grass then you'll foul your anchors if they drag, if they pop out and won't reset (danforth's).
For anti chafe use the white sanitation hose, it will last forever. Secure it so it won't move. Will you be on board durring this maelstrom?
Old 06-10-2006

hastingsml is on a distinguished road
Additional on anchor question.

I do no plan on being aboard. I had considered a fortress but more experienced sailors in my club say they may not reset if the wind changes direction during the storm. Most here use the Delta plow. Maybe I will compromise and use one of each.
Old 06-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
hastings...I never meant to suggest using the Fortress alone. I agree with your club members. The Fortress has great holding in extreme conditions but not reversing conditions...you need a plow out to slow things down when the wind comes around so the Fortress can dig in, in a new direction.
Old 06-21-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by windship
I would not use a plow anchor. Their not good in sand. Don't use only 1 style of anchor and don't use only one. What type of bottom do you have?
If you are in sand and mud with no rocks or grass, I would use a huge danforth style anchor or two with alot of over sized chain (10 to 1)and 3 strand nylon snubbers.
If your area has rocks and grass then you'll foul your anchors if they drag, if they pop out and won't reset (danforth's).
I must comment on this. It depends to some extent on how you rig the tandem system and how you deploy it, but in general terms you should always use anchors of identical types in a tandem set-up.

The reason is that you cannot normally get the tandem anchor (the forward most one) to set, if you deployed it after the primary, as your boat will not have enough power to drag the primary. You can try to set both anchors at once by getting skilled with the amount of resistance on the gypsy brake (or no windlass?) combined with reverse engine, but you will still at best end up with both anchors only half-set.

If you have set one anchor but the other is of a different type, you cannot trust that it will set - if they are of the same type, then if one sets the other should, assuming the bottom is fairly consistent.

Danforths are absolutely not to be used in this kind of scenario for all the same reasons they should not be used as serious primary anchors in any situation.

Use the heavier anchor as the primary. A boat length of chain between the two. Have you thought about how to deploy, as I touched on above? Etc. We frequently set-up boats with rigs to handle high lattitudes cruising (Greenland, Alaska, up your way, Patagonia, Antarctic, down here) where all the cruising guides have chapters on tandem anchoring so feel free to ask for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastingsml
I need an oversized anchor for riding out hurricanes in NC. I plan to put out two Delta plow anchors. I want one to be oversized and have been told to get one the next size too big.

The boat is 26' and weighs 6700 lbs. Should I go 22 lb or 35 lb.? I will be using chain and line rode.
Okay so leading on from above, your original plan is more or less okay. Nothing really wrong with two Deltas, at least not in sand, although you could do better.

As far as size is concerned, we recommend a Rocna 10 (22lbs) for your boat, and that's rated at that LOA to 5 tonnes. For a plow you need to compensate for the lack of fluke area, so maybe go to the 15Kg, and use the 10Kg as your working anchor. What do you have already? - If you're looking for new anchors from scratch, then abandon the plow idea, you can do better. Spade / Rocna / Bulwagga.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 06-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, a Danforth-style anchor would be fine if you are setting out multiple anchors, and the boat will not swing drastically in relation to where the Danforth is set. The real problem with Danforth-type anchors is their inability to stay set if the boat swings, as in the case of a reversing current or 100+ degree wind shift.

My friends have anchored through many a heavy storm, including some named ones, using multiple anchors and lines leading to trees on shore. Granted, they were in relatively protected creeks and bays, but their kedge (a large Danforth Hi-tensile) was set and stayed that way through out the storm in each case.

However, that said, I would not recommend a Danforth as a primary anchor generally.

Craig- Just a question... how do you get a LOA of 5 tonnes? LOA-Length Over All.... not a measure of displacement.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.