Originally Posted by TQA
I think I would rather live with an over sensitive alarm system than die from not having one.
This is happened to some one I knew.
John was killed when his boat blew up off the coast of St Vincent in March this year. It was almost certainly a propane explosion.
First, I do know that propane can be dangerous and needs to be handled with care. We ALWAYS shut off the solenoid, let the burner go out and only then shut off the stove control. I am NOT treating the subject lightly.
We moved aboard full time many years ago (1996). We cruised full time down the west coast through the Sea of Cortez and Mexico for years. We now cruise about half time.
I have to say that having the alarm does insure you are safe, it just helps. IF you are so concerned about the use of propane, don't use it. Go with a diesel stove. NOT alcohol as it can be as dangerous, or more so than propane.
One of my pet peeves is the constant cry of the sellers that "You life depends on it" as a way to scare people into spending more money.
By the way, a false alarm from the unit may put you at risk!
You are sailing about 100 miles off the Pacific Baja coast.
The wind is fresh, maybe 25 to 35 and may be building.
It's about 0200 with almost no moon.
You are handling sails and reefing. AND THE PROPANE ALARM SOUNDS!
And it might be for the 4th or 6th time that night.
What do you do?
That actually took place and, I am happy to report, we are still here. There NEVER was ANY propane leak.