Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Try a Single part Epoxy Paint

Try a single part epoxy paint here there is no reason to go two part for a project like this. Petit Eazypox is my favourite, goes on very nicely.

A friend just painted a 40 ft trawler with it by hand in a very dark blue. Looks really good. Not pefect but all shiny and nice. Much cheaper and easier to use than the two part paint.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2006

natew is on a distinguished road
just to make sure I'm reading everything correctly the epoxy paint will provide the waterproofing layer correct? so when I put it on it will seal in my fiberglass so It doesn't leak at all? The reason I ask is because someone told me that bare fiberglass is not waterproof....is that true?
Also, that paint seems quite a bit more expensive than gelcoat so why would I go the more expensive route? Basically, what do I gain by going with the paint vs. gelcoating?
Old 06-20-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Being a canoe I assume it will not be in the water all the time so gel coat is water proof enough. Gel coat after many years will admit some moisture which can develope into a problem for say a keel boat but not a canoe.

You will have trouble gettign a nice finish painting gel coat on. It would have to be sanded and buffed way more that it is worth. A pint of single epoxy paint would be about $30 and would come out nice and shiny.

Most epoxy paints are for use above the water line, but again if it is only going to be submerged for short periods that is probably OK. This is a learning experiment right?
Old 06-20-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The poly paint will provide a decent barrier coat, but that really isn't the issue with a boat that is not always in the water anyway.
You can apply gel coat, but it will not cure to a nice finish like the paints will. So it's much more labor intensive to get a decent finish, and it is fibreglass resin, primarily, and is not impermeable to water. (again, not a huge issue on a canoe that is out of the water more than in it.) Fiberglass is permeable to water at a microscopic level, it's not going to "leak" without paint unless the repairs are faulty.
One part poly paint will likely do a decent job for you but will not withstand abuse, bumps and scrapes as well as the two-parts will. They are a lot less expensive, though, and may serve your purpose.
I would think that one part poly would be no more money than gelcoat.
Old 06-20-2006

experiment is right *L* I'm going to re-do the gelcoat on an old twin hull fiberglass boat next that's why I'm thinking of doing the gelcoat here... I know it will be a lot of work putting it on then applying the plastic like layer then wetsanding it for hours but this is my experiment/practice run... not to mention time really isn't an issue for me since it's just an excuse for me to stay out of trouble *L*
Old 06-20-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd still HIGHLY recommend you hone your painting skills on the canoe, and paint your next project as well. The long term results, especially if you use premium paint, (and proper primers) will outshine and outlast any after-the-fact gelcoat project. These days gelcoat just isn't done anymore. There's a better way to go.
Way less work and way better results.. for sure.
Old 06-20-2006

that's amazing... I wasn't even aware of this paint stuff before... from what I'm seeing it does require a primer coat correct? does it require buffing and sanding/waxing after it's been painted?
Old 06-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Epoxy-based paints are often used as osmosis barrier coats on sailboats, so an epoxy-based paint should provide relatively good protection to the fiberglass from water intrusion.

As to whether it will prevent your fiberglass repair from leaking...not necessarily. If you've botched the repair, no amount of paint will make it water tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2006

I suppose I should have clarified *L* I was told that fiberglass if left untreated (I.E. no gel coat, paint etc,) will absorb some water because it's porous... no leak per-say but absorb water and deteriorate more quickly... Which would be stronger the gel coat or the paint?
Old 06-20-2006
Just another Moderator

The paints do require the proper primer, otherwise the paint won't stick to the fiberglass. They will cure to a mirror finish(without buffing/polishing) if properly prepared and applied. The finish depends greatly on the quality of the prep work. In fact, the paint finish can be soo shiny that it shows any flaws in your repair work and fairing.
Getting rid of any residual silicone is paramount. You need some nasty solvents, and multiple wipe downs to be sure its gone. This can also be an issue on boats that have had their gelcoat "restored" with silicone based products such as "penetrol".
For the canoe the water permeability is really a non issue. If the next project is trailerable, you could say the same. In any event, as noted above epoxy coatings are used as barriers in place of gel coat when blistered hulls are repaired.
Many of the better boat builders these days don't gelcoat their hulls, but choose to paint instead.

There is no structural strength in gelcoat or paint, but the 2 part paints will withstand more punishment than anything else.

Last edited by Faster; 06-20-2006 at 06:20 PM.