Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Centerboard raising options?

The boat is Buccaneer 18, the board is a thick and heavy (at least 75 lbs) fiberglass slab. The old system was a 2:1 block and pulley system placed in a very tight and contorted space above the centerboard box and below cockpit sole. the old system was using rope attached to the upper aft corner of the board, run through 2 blocks and out to a cam cleat in the cockpit through a hole just below the companionway opening. Old system is shot, the second block (and it's attachment) is gone, the cam cleat is shot too.

The question is: replace the old block and pulley system, or go with something else, like a small winch?
Use a dyneema rope for either options? I'm worried that a steel cable might cut through fiberglass where the centerboard box ends and cockpit sole starts.
Old 11-12-2014

Re: Centerboard raising options?

I decided to go with a small cockpit mounted winch. Primary reason: more secure control of the centerboard. I'm planning to use polypropylene rope with a 350 lbs breaking strength. What would be the best way of attaching this rope to the centerboard? The board has a block with a becket. I think in the original configuration, the centerboard control rope ran from the becket to the forward block, then back to the block on the centerboard (thus getting the 2:1 purchase) and out to the cockpit and the cam cleat which held it in place.
I want to tie the rope to the becket and run it out to the cockpit and the winch, with just one block to make the rope run smoother and avoid chafe.
What would be a good knot for this polypropylene rope?
Old 11-13-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I don't think the polypro has the durability you are looking for and there are no knots I know of that are secure in it. I'd go with some of the super lines available today and attach it where the block w/becket attaches to the board (eye splice w/ thimble) and remove the block entirely, if you are using a winch. Since one block is shot, this one could also be close and you don't want to be messing with all this again anytime soon.
Jeff_H and krisscross like this.
Old 11-13-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

If you are switching to a winch you don't need the mechanical advantage of the 2:1. I would just splice a 1/8" piece of amsteel to the board.
krisscross likes this.
Old 11-13-2014

Yes, I'm not going to use the block system with the winch. Honestly, I was just thinking of tying that 3/8 polypropylene rope to the becket with a buntline hitch.
Old 11-13-2014

Capta, so you suggest getting rid of this block on the centerboard? It looks really solid to me. But if I get rid of it, how to attach the rope to the board? The block is through bolted to the centerboard with 2 bolts.
Old 11-13-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Capta, so you suggest getting rid of this block on the centerboard? It looks really solid to me. But if I get rid of it, how to attach the rope to the board? The block is through bolted to the centerboard with 2 bolts.
I'd suggest (1) mounting the cheapest stainless-steel trailer winch you can buy at the cockpit end of the centreboard case and (2) tying your rope around the centreboard block itself. That way you keep the cockpit clear (ducking into the cabin to raise/lower the CB is usually no big deal)

You might need a turning block somewhere forward depending on your setup. Pics would help.
krisscross likes this.
Old 11-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I'd suggest (1) mounting the cheapest stainless-steel trailer winch you can buy at the cockpit end of the centreboard case and (2) tying your rope around the centreboard block itself. That way you keep the cockpit clear (ducking into the cabin to raise/lower the CB is usually no big deal)

You might need a turning block somewhere forward depending on your setup. Pics would help.
I thought about mounting the winch inside the cabin right at the companionway opening but there is not enough space there to turn the handle. If I mount it inside the cabin, the winch will get in the way and make sleeping inside just about impossible. I would rather have it in the cockpit.

Stainless steel winch? Never seen those. And likely could not afford one for this project. A regular marine winch will have to do for me.

I have two options when tying rope to the existing centerboard block: tie the rope to the becket, or tie the rope around the sheave. The sheave is plastic, the becket is stainless steel.

Would the buntline hitch be a good knot to use on a braided 3/8 inch polypropylene rope? I thought of wrapping the lose end of the knot to the line with a sail thread or rigging tape for extra security.
Old 11-15-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Amsteel. Eye splice poke thru the becket and bitter end thru the eye splice .pull all thru and lead to winch. (winch could be plywood disks 3" and 3 .5 with ratchet plate and dog. Twice around. Cleat line behind it.Pretty standard fair and better than high tech.
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 11-15-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Amsteel. Eye splice poke thru the becket and bitter end thru the eye splice .pull all thru and lead to winch.
Ah, I see it. Loop it around the becket post. What size amsteel? 1/4 inch? Amsteel I have to buy, the 3/8" polypropylene I already have. I thought this poly would chafe less due to large surface area but was not sure how well it will hold the knot on the becket.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.