Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2014

ncapener is on a distinguished road
What is the life span of a chart plotter???

In the fall of 2011 I purchased a Garmin 4212 chart plotter expecting to get a good number of years of service from it.
Last summer the network plug failed leaving me without radar or sounder until a new cable was found. Then the unit stopped working all together because of a corroded power plug. When I took the plotter of the mount I noticed corrosion on the aluminum housing and the plastic cracking where the screws attach.
Is that the normal life expectancy of modern electronics?

Neal
Sad in Nanaimo
Attached Thumbnails
What is the life span of a chart plotter???-imgp0240.jpg   What is the life span of a chart plotter???-imgp0245.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the life span of a chart plotter???

Looks like the expansion of the corroding aluminum cased the plastic to crack. My Garmin chart plotter is about 8 years old and still works great. It lives in a harsh environment but is just inside the hatchway and does not have salt water dripping on it.

Does your unit have water dripping on it?
Old 11-18-2014
Up & Down the Sound

single2coil is on a distinguished road

my Garmin lasted only 5 years. The water proof or replant seals around display failed. It is always covered. But of course it does Rain every once in awhile here in Washington. So it is expected to get damp while out sailing.

Call Garmin customer service. They were excellent in giving me a credit towards a new replacement.
Other than water intrusion, excellent unit.
Old 11-18-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Seems that unit has a problem, check this out:
Garmin 4212 corrosion Pics - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Garmin might fix under warranty
Old 11-18-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Our 3010 is 5 years old, with no problems, so far (knock on wood), but it has an all plastic case I believe. I'd just send it back to Garmin for refurbishing. Unless you are like us and use it almost every day, it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
Old 11-18-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncapener View Post
In the fall of 2011 I purchased a Garmin 4212 chart plotter expecting to get a good number of years of service from it.
Last summer the network plug failed leaving me without radar or sounder until a new cable was found. Then the unit stopped working all together because of a corroded power plug. When I took the plotter of the mount I noticed corrosion on the aluminum housing and the plastic cracking where the screws attach.

Neal
Sad in Nanaimo
Sorry about your loss.

"Modern Electronics" is usually designed with a clear life expectancy expressed in MTBF (which is not the the same). Some electronics, as mobile phones are made to be used for about 2-3 years, then they are usually obsolete anyhow. Some other electronics, as semi-prof marine is made for last about 10 years - then it is obsolete.
Garmin has a good reputation, one of the largest brands on the market. Many Garmin users report using their equipment far longer then 10 years.

Now I do not know the model you have, if it is has NMEA 2000, then those are known to have problems with contacts and corrosion. Most manufacturers recommend to disconnect all power when not in use.

Radar connected to plotters also induce a lot of undesired currents, with similar results. As will echo sounders.

Installation of such complex units must be performed with utmost care, in particular regarding earthing - some of the connected equipment is earthed in themselves, if so the connection should be without connecting earth to the plotter in order not to create the so called earth loops.

Maintenance is important as well. Cover, or removing the plotter to put it inside the boat when not in use will increase life span.

And so on. There are many aspects to consider. Cannot blame "modern electronics" for everything.

/J
Old 11-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I have an old black and white 188 (?) Garmin chartplotter/sounder, that has been sitting out in the weather 24/7 on my center console open fisherman for over ten years that still works great (I don't even know how old it is, it came with the boat that I bought used).
christian.hess likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 11-18-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncapener View Post

Neal
Sad in Nanaimo
*Are your instruments covered when not in use?

*If on a pedestal do you have a pedestal cover?

*If on a pedestal do you have a NavPod type enclosure?

*Do they get a fresh water rinse after being sprayed with salt water?

*Did you use a terminal grease on any of the plugs/connections?

Well cared for these plotters can easily last 15+ years. I have many pieces of electronic gear out there well past 20 years. I have one customer still using a Garmin GPS MAP 175 which is a black and white hand held that was discontinued in the late 90's.. Last summer I replaced a GPSMAP 215 black & white unit that was still working perfectly. I have another customer with a Garmin 210 that is still going strong. These are OLD units....

Let them get salty, don't rinse them off and don't treat the terminals or lose the o-rings etc. and they can die pretty quickly. The ocean and salt water know no bounds. It is mostly up to us, the electronics baby sitters, to keep them in good working order.

I even have Garmin products on commercial fishing boats, who douse them with salt and fish guts, and they are still going strong. They key is they also rinse them with fresh water on occasion and they are in a wheel house when not in use. The terminals were also treated to prevent corrosion...

Keep in mind that any instrument with an aluminum housing is eventually going to be prone to corrosion in the marine environment especially if you were to ever chip the coating....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-18-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2014

ncapener is on a distinguished road

Plotter is well protected. Dodger and bimini keep rain out.
I have an old 182 that still looks as good as new.
I did contact Garmin and they referred me to Raytec as their repair/warranty facillity.
Emai to Raytec tech support bounced.
Follow up email to Garmin was not answered.
I could send the unit to Raytec. The web site repair calculator states repair cost @ $ 630.
Thanks casey 1999, looks like I am not alone.
Six months out of the year, the unit is stored inside, six monthe it is used every day.
No magic about installing such a unit. Plug and play.

Last edited by ncapener; 11-18-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding
Old 11-18-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Mine is 1997, obsolete as heck, but still good (I use a tablet for fine detail, when I care, which is seldom). Under a hard top, of course; I had an exposed plotter that lasted less than 3 years before sucking water.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.