Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2006

John Fritzen is on a distinguished road
Covering the sail.

In trying to keep expenses down, I want to make my own sail cover.

I was thinking of using a plastic tarp/bungee/velcro approach. Any problems with this?

Do you have any DIY approches to covering your main or jib?

THis is my first post! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Can't remember who makes them, but I remember seeing at a Strictly Sail Show, a manufacturer of Kits for making sails and sail covers. This would cut down on the expense. Don't recommend the tarp idea.
Old 06-27-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Don't know if this is a breech of forum rules, but I've been ordering sail related stuff from www.SailRite.com . They carry everything a DIYer needs for sewing/repairing your own gear & accessories from sails to covers. I recently designed & made a sun awning for my aft deck helm/cockpit from Sunbrella fabric purchased from them - came out great. I also repaired my ketch's covers using their zippers and snaps and replaced some curtain slugs and slides using their inventory.

Here are some kits for making your own cover - http://secure.sailrite.com/items.asp...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Of course, you will need a heavy duty sewing machine . . . I was ahead of the game with ours.
Old 06-27-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Not only is SailRite a great source, they are also great people to work with. Also, remember, the main purpose of the sailcover is to protect from UV rays.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 06-27-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
However, if you have the old cover, and you're crafty, you already have the template for the new replacement. Just replicate all the parts, like fabric, zippers, snaps, seam reinforcement and ties. You can pick up a brass grommet kit at the local hardware store for not much money as well.
Old 06-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nix on the tarp idea - it would look shabby and you'd be replacing every season at least. The DIY kits should be no problem, if you know a seamstress with a decent sewing machine it's not a difficult project.
Old 06-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailrite.com is definitely the way to go. Their prices are pretty reasonable and the kits are pretty simple to assemble. Better yet, they come with all the bits and pieces and fairly clear directions to make assembling them a piece of cake.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2006
Sailor

Warren M. is on a distinguished road
You can probably find a decent replacement sail cover for your boat on eBay. My guess is that the price would be comparable to buying the material, zippers, snaps, etc., and of course, the time spent to make one yourself. A mainsail cover made from a plastic tarp held together with bungee is going to give you and your boat a name (.e., "Joe Sh*t, the rag man") you probably don't deserve and will not appreciate...
Old 07-02-2006
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
The cheap plastic tarps you buy at Walmart will disintegrate before a season is out. It wouldn't be worth the time trying to customize it with velcro and snaps since it will just disintegrate. Go with Sunbrella.