Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2006

captainbrad is on a distinguished road
When I used to work as a sailmaker, I bought a Pro-furl for my Ericson 27 through the loft. I had experience with lots of differenct furlers from racing on other boats, including a Harken on my dad's Tartan 37. The Pro-furl is the BEST DAMN FURLER EVER MADE as far as I'm concerned! It is extremely well enginered of titanium and aircraft alluminum, it can be installed in a number of versatile configurations, and I've never had any problems with it! It does have some quirks, and they may have changed some of those since I bought mine 6 years ago, but I have no complaints. This is the brand that (last I knew) most of the around-alone type sailors were prefering. The foil comes in sections, which I was skeptical about, but the design is so good that it is actually advantageous! They use a graphite insert "bearing" at each joint in the foil to keep the stay centered in the foil, making it much easier to roll up since you avoid the flopping around you get from the Harken style one piece foils. Mind you, I'm not up on what's on the market right now, just when I was looking back then. Anyway, I have always had a paradigm that any improvement I make to the boat has to meet the standard of being able to hold up to a trip around the world, just incase I decide to do that with this boat. The pro-furl definately fits that bill! You won't be dissappointed!

-Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
Most furlers have lower bearings and some have uppers, which require periodic maintenence. Grease em up and they're problem free for another year or so.

Rick in Florida
Old 02-22-2007

bmintz is on a distinguished road
harken or hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedream47
I have an Endevour 40, 1983, with a Harken Roller Furling, same year. It's almost impossible to furl in the genoa in any winds above 15 knots. I would like to install a new furling system and would like some feedback on which is the most effective, easy to furl in, system.

Do you have a harken or a Hood? I have the same boat and year, it is with a Hood. I am trying to find a part for the unit. Have you replaced it? Do you still have the parts?
Old 02-22-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
External Mains'l Furling

I am re-posting this here to see if it can get any action.

Does anybody have any experience with external mainsail furling systems?

Facnor:
http://www.facnor.com/uk/main.asp?ur...p&f=2,12,,23,a

or Nemo:
http://www.nemoindustrie.com/mainsai...ng-systems.htm

I am curious if:
a) they could stand up to Off shore duty
b) can accommodate full vertical battens
c) can be mounted on a wooded spar

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 02-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
IPW....I'm surprised anyone is still making a behind mast unit as they've been thoroughly dissed over the years. I would get a boom furler if you don't want to go for standard in-mast furling.
Can't answer your other questions but intuitively the system does not seem safe for sea to me as you must be luffing to roll em up...or in light winds.
Old 02-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
IPW....I'm surprised anyone is still making a behind mast unit as they've been thoroughly dissed over the years. I would get a boom furler if you don't want to go for standard in-mast furling.
Can't answer your other questions but intuitively the system does not seem safe for sea to me as you must be luffing to roll em up...or in light winds.
On top of that, you're adding significant weight aloft and a good deal of windage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.