Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-28-2006
pipedream

pipedream47 is on a distinguished road
Question roller furling problems

I have an Endevour 40, 1983, with a Harken Roller Furling, same year. It's almost impossible to furl in the genoa in any winds above 15 knots. I would like to install a new furling system and would like some feedback on which is the most effective, easy to furl in, system.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Have not had many situations where my Furlex (Selden of Sweden) was too hard to furl, except of course, when attempting this in any position other than head to the wind, in very strong winds.

I've resorted to using a winch once, during a sudden heavy blow and couldn't head-to quickly enough, without starting the engine. Strange though, winching in such a relatively thin line as the furler control line.
Old 06-28-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
This topic was covered extensively a few months ago. You might refeer to that thread.
Old 06-28-2006
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Just a quick FYI. I have a Hood Roller Furler and wasn't pleased at all with how difficult the jib was to furl in heavy wind. Did one of those "last resort" things and actually picked up the literature on the thing and started reading. Low and behold it was recommended that the thing be set up with 7/16 FURLING LINE! This stuff is very different from the other running rigging on my Islander 30 BUT once in place it was easier to hold onto AND turned furling the jib into a pretty easy task. DANG IT, I hate to admit that reading the directions actually helped......
Old 06-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really shouldn't be needing a winch to furl a roller furling sail that is setup properly. If you need a winch to furl it, you probably have something set up wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-28-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our boat has two helms, pilothouse & aft deck, although the aft helm dosen't have an ignition switch for starting the engine. The one time I needed to use the winch was when a sudden squall appeared while sailing in a broad reach, preventing me from turning into the wind to unfurl the 150 Genoa.

My first instinct was to use the winch, after being unable to crank it in by hand, since I didn't want to leave the helm at the time due to singlehanding with my terrified new-to-sail wife. Get the picture?

Last edited by TrueBlue; 06-28-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2006

gsheath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry
. . Did one of those "last resort" things and actually picked up the literature on the thing and started reading. . . DANG IT, I hate to admit that reading the directions actually helped......
Ahaa, the old RTFM trick

Sign on chalkboard outside a cafe (I just went out for a coffee):
"Keep your mouth shut when you're in deep water"
Western Port Marina
Hastings, Vic, Australia
Old 06-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're not head to wind, then that changes the story entirely... in general, if your boat is properly positioned, head-to-wind, then there should not be a need for a winch.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2006
pipedream

pipedream47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you're not head to wind, then that changes the story entirely... in general, if your boat is properly positioned, head-to-wind, then there should not be a need for a winch.
Thanks for the reply. I have had Harkin in NewPort RI look at ther roller furler and they say it is working fine. It is just a very old model. I am not new at this, I have over fifteen thousand miles of blue water sailing in the past six years.
Thanks again
Pipe Dream
Old 06-29-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Also have old furler

I once had problems rolling my sail in. I asked my sailmaker if he had a suggestion. He said that if I tighten the backstay, there will be less sag in the forestay. Sag opposes being rolled.

I tried it and it worked.

Max