SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ericson25 Centerboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/180-ericson25-centerboard.html)

brbsim 09-29-2000 08:06 AM

Ericson25 Centerboard

I recently purchased a 1973 E25 with a centerboard and have several questions I hope someone can help me with. We need to move the boat to another marina and since I am not the original owner I do not have any info on this boat. My questions are:

1. When we lower the centerboard, how much line goes out...is this just a small amount (few inches) of line? And how can we tell when it is completely lowered?

2. I was told that when we lower the centerboard are we supposed to let it lower completely and then raise it slightly...is this correct?

3. When we raise the centerboard, how can we tell when it is raised completely? The line only seems to come up a few inches and then the rope just seems to whine with the winch and not come up any further. Is this typical or do we have a problem?

4. Would it hurt the sailboat to always leave the centerboard down since we don''t plan to trailer it or should we raise it everytime we come into the harbor?

brucemcald 09-29-2000 10:59 AM

Ericson25 Centerboard

Hi,

I''m not familiar with E25 boats, but I do have a centerboarder and think you have a problem, from what you described. You should probably be looking at least a couple of feet of line running out when you lower the centerboard.

What may have happpened is that marine growth has attached itself to the centerboard, making it stick in the case. This is why you want to raise the centerboard fully each time you come back to harbor--to prevent barnacles and other stuff from growing on it.

Another possibility is that you are trying to raise and lower the board when you are under sail, and the pressure of the water pushes the board against the side of the case, making it difficult to drop it or raise it.

There could also be a problem with the winch. I don''t use a winch, but just have a few feet of line that I pull or let go, so its pretty clear to me when the board is up or down. If there is slack in the line, then the board is probably pressed against the case by the water. Pointing into the wind usually relieves the pressure and allows the board to drop fully. I then adjust the board to balance with the sail, providing weather helm or lee helm or a balanced helm, depending upon what I want. (This is a catboat--just one sail.)

If you haven''t hauled the boat since you bought it, I would suggest a short haul to see if the centerboard is dirty, what the draft is when it is down, if gravel is stuck between the board and the case, and play with the winch to see what happens.

Good luck!

Bruce

brbsim 09-29-2000 11:08 AM

Ericson25 Centerboard

Thanks, Bruce.
The boat has been in dry dock for 2 yrs and I just put it into the water. When my ex-husband sailed it prior to that the centerboard worked fine. Since I never raised/lowered the board myself I didn''t know how much line to expect. I appreciate your info.

Barb

rshumway 09-21-2006 10:00 PM

Good news

Hey there,
I own a 1975 25ft ericson, with a swing keel, if you have any questions, or comments feel free to drop a line. Even tho i am a new onwer as well, I have many friends that have owned them as well. I LOVE my baby girl, Take care,
Capt. Rob

rob_shumway2005@hotmail.com

FrankLanger 09-22-2006 12:00 PM

There is also an excellent ericson owners website, with lots of helpful owners of all ericson models. They will know. I don't have the website handy, but a search will find it for you.
good luck!
Frank.

sailingdog 09-22-2006 03:07 PM

If there is any growth on the centerboard, like barnacles, the growth can make it difficult to raise or lower the board. If you raise the board when you are at the dock, it will probably help reduce the growth of barnacles on the centerboard itself.

pigslo 09-22-2006 05:04 PM

Every time I have hauled my centerboard boat, there is no growth on the board. I am guessing that it is too dark in the trunk. to grow stuff.

sailingdog 09-23-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigslo
Every time I have hauled my centerboard boat, there is no growth on the board. I am guessing that it is too dark in the trunk. to grow stuff.

That's why I recommend leaving the CB all the way up when it is sitting at the dock.