Stereo Power Installation - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-21-2014 Thread Starter

Stereo Power Installation

Intro: US Yacht 25. This year new battery box, complete rewire and new electrical panel wired per MainSail et.al.

Now to the fun stuff. I have a stereo, with wood cabinet. Proper electrical buss bars for all stereo and electrical connections.

My question: I have everything routed through the Master on/off switch. I'm wondering if the receiver will lose memory (radio stations) when the boat is switched off. This is an automotive 12v stereo. It has three + wires;

ATT (Light blue wire)
ACC (red wire)
Battery (yellow wire).

What does the general boating population do regarding stereos?

thanks,
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.

Chris
US Yacht 25 "Chinook"
Kennewick, Wa.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2014
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira
Re: Stereo Power Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by budvar View Post
Intro: US Yacht 25. This year new battery box, complete rewire and new electrical panel wired per MainSail et.al.

Now to the fun stuff. I have a stereo, with wood cabinet. Proper electrical buss bars for all stereo and electrical connections.

My question: I have everything routed through the Master on/off switch. I'm wondering if the receiver will lose memory (radio stations) when the boat is switched off. This is an automotive 12v stereo. It has three + wires;

ATT (Light blue wire)
ACC (red wire)
Battery (yellow wire).

What does the general boating population do regarding stereos?

thanks,
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.
i have an old am/fm /sw radio on d cell batteries all i need for music ... if all else fails sing or whistle
budvar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2014

One of the wires should be conneced to the baery direcly if you do not want to loose he memory settings. I am not sure but yellow wire to the battery (direct connection), red wire to the battery switch.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2014
Owner 4knot sb.

Yellow direct to battery (use a fuse), that will save your memory...

Nothing wrong with wanting some music on your boat. I was in the other camp for many years (not wanting music of any kind, wanting the "pure" sailing experience)... Thankfully I've had the opportunity to sail frequently in recent years (enough that I can no longer count the number of times I go)... Having some music sometimes is just the ticket to make the sail perfect. This especially while out on the lake alone, nobody to talk to, and nobody else to disturb.

I frequently use the radio as "background noise" when I am doing a weekday sail.

That being said I too am planning on installing a stereo, but am hopefully NOT rewiring the boat this winter. I am putting in electronics so who knows.
budvar and christian.hess like this.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-21-2014
░░░░░░░░░░

Chris-
Either you drain the battery, let the memory get wiped, buy a marine stereo, or do something else to handle the problem.
You could add in an "alarm" battery to supply backup power to the yellow lead. Or measure it, if the drain is 5-10mA that won't bother your battery for a couple of weeks at a time.
A few marine radios use non-volatile memory to avoid that problem. Older car stereos with push buttons don't have that problem. And of course if you don't listen to preset stations, it just doesn't matter.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-22-2014

KISS

stereo-battery connection

Stu Jackson, C34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)
post #7 of 25 Old 12-22-2014
Owner 4knot sb.

You know I had a simple deep cycle battery, with a 3.5hp motor... I had a 14x14" solar panel hooked directly to a cigarette lighter outlet.. WE don't have power, I don't have an alternator...

My radio never killed my battery by having my $35 marine stereo (that took USB or SD cards), it was 40 watts, super short depth, with a remote. I think I got it at buy.com. I got about 12 stations after I connected to the masthead antenna. In retrospect I'd have done better with a regular fm radio antenna.... However, I got one of the XM roady receivers and piped it into the aux port on the radio... Crystal clear tunes, no issues.
christian.hess likes this.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-22-2014
Sailor

The small power to maintain the radio's memory uses an infinitesimal small amount of power. It will take a long, long time to drain your battery. So don't do it if you never use your boat. Just saying.

Tod
post #9 of 25 Old 12-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
The small power to maintain the radio's memory uses an infinitesimal small amount of power. It will take a long, long time to drain your battery. So don't do it if you never use your boat. Just saying.

Tod
Our Kenwood draws 0.002A..... It would take three full weeks to use just 1 Ah... On a 400Ah bank this is three weeks to use 0.25% of the banks capacity....

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #10 of 25 Old 12-22-2014
Sailor

Exactly.

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.