Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Cockpit and Deck Painting Advice

Considering refreshing the wearing paint but could use some advice. Probably can't paint until spring given the weather but figure I can do some prep in the cold. Also need to keep the boat near working since we go back in the water early (April), so can't just remove all equipment. I need to rebed a few items so will be removing some equipment anyway.

Deck and cockpit have mix of glossy and nonskid.

What is the prep process?

Are people happy with Interdeck?

Is taping sufficient for equipment that will not be removed?

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2014

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Cockpit and Deck Painting Advice

I'd be interested in this as well, planning to redo my cockpit and deck this spring

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 12-30-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

I have been using Interdeck for some years. Easy to paint, works fine but
- fades in the sun, re-painting is needed after some years if one want the original color.
- soft so wears down

Also, at least in my area, Interdeck is no longer available in all colors, in particular not in the one I first used, which I still prefer.

Two component paint is usually stronger, but also much more difficult to apply. Awlgrip is often mentioned is giving good results, both glossy and non-skid, but I do not have any experience of it.

On balance, I am rather satisfied with Interdeck.

Preparation: sanding!

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Also satisfied with Interdeck, esp the 'grip', but it does tend to 'hold onto' dirt. Easy to apply - yes it changes colour with time but in our case now closely matches the rest of our deck (was much whiter to start with but has 'yellowed nicely' ) Pretty sure that Interdeck is just 'Brightsides' with grit so you should be able to blend some colours for a few more options...

Think you can mask around equipment that you can't/don't remove, but better to get under it if you can. On a past project we removed everything but the toerails and winches, taped off around those.

If you have a molded nonskid pattern it can be difficult to properly prepare.. if you don't want to preserve it I guess you could sand/grind it smooth and start over. Otherwise the best prep you can do might be a thorough TSP scrub followed by a solvent wash. If you do use Interdeck it will likely 'hide' the original pattern.

Many here rave about the results using Kiwi Grip, and I've seen some nice results too - it's also tintable to your colour so before committing to Interdeck maybe check that out first.

Non 'nonskid' areas should be sanded properly, cleaned and then probably 'rolled and tipped' unless you're able to spray. You can get a reasonable DIY result with the HVLP blower/spraygun setup that bathtub refinishers use.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2014

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
Two component paint is usually stronger, but also much more difficult to apply.
I can endorse either one or two part Petit paints for doing the whole topside area. While one part (EZPoxy) is maybe 40% cheaper, I can't really say that the two part (EZPoxy2) is really any harder to work with and is considerably more impact and abrasion resistant.

While sanding before the first coat and between coats 2 or even 3 is very important, it is critical that, before you do any sanding, you thoroughly wipe down the entire area with a prep coat which will remove any and all traces of grease and (most importantly) residual wax and polish. If you don't do this, there will be adhesion problems.

Modern epoxy paints are very easy to work with and give great coverage and gloss. If you are going to use a different color or additive grit for the non-skid areas, do the gloss areas first (2 or 3 coats) and then tape off on the cured gloss area to do the non-skid.

If you are using the same color and not using a grit, you will only need to tape anything that can easily be removed. This gives you an easy justification for rebedding all of your deck hardware that is removed for painting easy with butyl tape.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

Doing the Loop in 2015
The Following User Says Thank You to captainmurph For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road

Murph

What would suffice as a prep coat pre sanding?
Old 12-30-2014

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

I have always used DuPont PrepSol

There are probably lots of products like this from all paint manufacturer's, but I would use those solvents that are specifically designed for this kind of cleaning and surface preparation.

One can will last for quite a few paint jobs.

Murph
Old 12-30-2014

SWFLman is on a distinguished road

I used the 2 part interlux Perfection and was really pleased with the results and didn't find it all that hard to apply. I never painted a boat before, so was the first time doing the roll and tip method. obviously, prep is the most important part. I took the time and filled in all the gouges with Pettet 2 part marine filler and sanded smooth. Sanding is the key after filling. Run your fingers over the patch with your eyes closed. If you feel a bump, need more sanding, or else is shows in the finished product.

A couple of tips on the roll and tip method. I used standard foam rollers from Home Depot. Key was using a Badger hair paint brush. Need to keep in clean and wet. Keep all the paint off of it. Dip the brush into thinner and then shake out well before tipping. That way the brush glides over the paint very smoothly.

Don't get in a hurry and don't set a deadline. Do what you can do and then do more the next day (or weekend). When you start hurrying, is when it get sloppy.
oysterman23 and Jaramaz like this.
Old 12-31-2014

Pendragon35 is on a distinguished road

Take a look at this guy's site; he has very detailed notes on what he did and what worked.
Magic #16
Old 12-31-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Will look better, and keep water out better, if you remove the deck hardware. However, if it is bedded well, and taped carefully, I have seen this look pretty good. You could just sand enough to get good adhesion, IF, the underlying paint is not peeling or flaking.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.