Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2001

calomar is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

Our 1967 Cal 34''s gas tank seems to have a lot of water at the bottom, and what appears to be rust. We have two gas filters on the line going into the atomic-4 but it starts to cough after 3-4 hours of running time. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

Before you go to any other trouble, stop by an autoparts house and get some gas -drier. It is a liquid that you pour into the tank that absorbs the water and it goes through the engine as part of the fuel or is just "dried up". I''ve used this before and it works.

It will keep you from having to pull your tank and empty it out. Beyond the above, you would need someway to ccess the tank to mop the water out. BUT, it has to be done without any spark or static electricity producing components. An empty gas tank full of fumes is little more than a "bomb", and you can never get all of the fumes out.

Good Luck, and "Be very careful".
Old 07-26-2001

waltward is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

You are right Rob--you can''t get the fumes out. However you can pump carbonmonoxcide in with a hose from the exhaust from your car. Then you can do about anything you want. When I was a kid I watched my father do this before doing welding repairs on gas tanks. check with your local welding & steel fabricating shops & see how they handel gas tanks.
Old 07-27-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
cleaning out gas tank

They typically fill them with water (safest). Otherwise they flood them with an inert gas such as nitrogen or argon. Any shop doing fab work for oil refineries, petro storage, etc. can be of help.
Be careful that you dont go BOOOOOOM..
Old 07-27-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

The only problem with a nitrogen blanket and probably argon is well is that both displace oxygen...so care has to exercised with both of them.

I think that they need to be able to wrap rags around something non-metallic and flexible to get at the water in the tank, or use a water absorber to take care of the problem.
Old 01-17-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

I would assume you would have a tank cleaning service in your area. I had this done recently because of a slime build up on my primary fuel filter. process continually recycles diesel fuel forcing fuel back into tank under pressure thus blowing gunk and water into suspension in diesel fuel then mixture is filtered extracting water, gunk bioslime until diesel is clean and tank is clean. Some services only filter the fuel if they do not force fuel back into tank and jet the sump you will still have a dirty tank with clean fuel
Old 08-17-2002
Sailor

fparish1 is on a distinguished road
cleaning out gas tank

If you are through fooling around with sophisticated questionable remedies, remove the tank and get it over with.
Take it to a do-it-yourself car wash and put in the quarters. Use soap. Rinse. Then put in a container of Mr. Clean and a like amount of water and a handful of SHARP STONES. Not river gravel that is rounded. You want sharp corners... lots of them.
Rock the tank back and forth for 10 minutes. Change the position of the tank and to it again so that the stones get a chance to work on all the surfaces of the tank.
Dump out the contents. You may need a wet/dry vac to get all the stones out. Don''t worry. They will all come out. Look inside. You should have a nice, new looking, shiny tank. I did. Mine was an A4 in my Bristol 32 that had a quarter of an inch of crud in the bottom. It is monel. It now is like new.
Frank
frank@leafboss.com
Fair Wind on the Chesapeake