SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Alado Furling Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/18194-alado-furling-systems.html)

Ronbye 07-13-2006 01:04 PM

Alado Furling Systems

I was just wondering how many people out there are using the ALADO Furling System. I have one on my boat and I am interested in learning of other people's experiences with this system. :confused:

NCountry 08-02-2006 02:01 PM

My Hood 810 Sea Furl "Blew apart" last weekend. (metal fatigue caused the bottom of the drum to come off. The bearing went everywhere ) On Monday I e-mailed hood asking for information on parts. Still Haven't heard anything. In the meantime I remembered a letter written by a reader to Practical Sailor that mentioned the Alado. Got an e-mail back from them the same day. Hmmmmmm...already kickin Hood in the butt.
Has anyone else used the Alado? The site has the installation directions and they seem very easy. Also the Alado seems to have fewer moving parts which seems to me to translate into more reliable. My concern with it is that the halyard is tied to the base of the furler instead of the unit using a swivel. Does this work well? Please hurry and reply. I need to get something ordred ASAP so I don't miss anymore sailing than absolute necessary. Gotta feed that addiction I have to wind.

Ronbye 08-16-2006 12:26 PM

Ncountry, I have an Alado system and it works great. I just recently went through a 50 knt squall and was able to furl the jib halfway while under load with no problems. The first year I had it, I had a number of foils twist. Alado sent me replacement foils and I haven't had a problem. I highly recommend it.

SteppingonKittens 08-16-2006 12:55 PM

Hood parts source

Try

www.pompanette.com

I don't think that they are super responsive tho....

Hugs,

SoK

drynoc 08-17-2006 09:13 AM

Alado

I have an Alado system that I installed two years ago. There have been some minor headaches, but it has proven to be worth the effort. The installation is easy, but the instructions are poor, and it helps to have some previous furler experience. I didn't have any, and it took me a while to get the bugs ironed out. I'm satisfied now, though, and it is the least expensive system out there. The only drawback I can see is that I haven't figured out how to store the second halyard.

NCountry 06-29-2007 06:51 PM

Just a follow up note. (It came to me that I might want to do this). I ended up with the Alado. The installation was super easy and only took a morning to do. It has worked flawlessly ever since with no problems what so ever. The salesmen Mr. Davenport was super great to work with and the furler arrived even faster than promised. Even after several inquiries I have NEVER heard from Hood about the old furler. Looks like this sailor won't be a needin any Hood equipment on his boat...........

sailingdog 06-29-2007 07:15 PM

Sounds good... also sounds like Hood has a customer service problem.

svobsession 01-31-2010 08:51 AM

Old thread... but Are you guys still happy with your alado?

dvpamenter 01-31-2010 09:17 PM

I have a bias because I am the Canadian mfg agent. But.. go to the Alado Nautica site and ask Mr Davenport to provide you with the Practical Sailor review.
Don

sailingdog 02-01-2010 09:15 AM

I'd point out that you probably should be disclosing this fact as part of your signature, in order to comply with Sailnet's Special Interest declaration requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvpamenter (Post 565714)
I have a bias because I am the Canadian mfg agent. But.. go to the Alado Nautica site and ask Mr Davenport to provide you with the Practical Sailor review.
Don