Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-13-2006

offline2004 is on a distinguished road
Electronic Recommendations

I have a 1996 Hunter with an ST50 Tridata that has unfortunately gone kaput. I am interested in thoughts around good or bad experiences with electronic options that are out there.

Technically, I only the depth gauge as I have a separate GPS unit but cannot decide to go with a cheap depth only or another Tridata type recorder.

We are mostly weekend cruisers and would like to add an autopilot some day but dont have the funds to go that route yet.

Thanks!

Matt

1995 Hunter 336 Hull #100
Herrington Harbour South
Friendship, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Matt, my first thought is call Raymarine/Raytheon on their toll-free line and ask about repair estimates and troubleshooting whether it is the ST50 or the sensor that has gone bad.
Old 07-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, if it is the transducer, then the one off the st60 might work as a replacement...same thing if the display head has gone bad.... the ST60 might be backwards compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Good Luck Calling

Raymoron.

Hey who knows they might just answer the phone. If they do they can't fix it, but would be happy to sell you a new one. If you leave your number for them to call back, Don't hold your breath.,

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 07-13-2006

offline2004 is on a distinguished road
st50 v. st60

thanks!

I called their local Raymarine shops and all of them wanted to sell me a new ST60. $650 for the transducer and sensor and the two estimates I received were a minimum or $400 to install as they claimed the pinning was different.

I am fairly handy with standard electrical work around the house but have never done any work on the boat. I am nervous about the pinning component. If it is was the same I would replace it tomorrow. I just cannot stomach $400 for what I know is BS labor uplift costs.

1995 Hunter 336 Hull #100
Herrington Harbour South
Friendship, MD
Old 07-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would call Raymarine directly.... as you have Raymarine gear, and if you're having a problem, I found that they will often offer you an upgrade for considerably less than retail. They can also tell you if the dealer is blowing smoke or not. $400 sounds pretty high for the install, especially if the wiring is still good.

You have checked the continuity and resistance levels of the wiring...haven't you?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
2 things

1. your local chandlery may let you "borrow" a transducer and/or a display unit to test the equipment in place. Mine did when I had a problem with ST40. I tried hanging a tranducer over the side to see if that was the problem - then I tried hooking up a new display. Was the electronics in the display. Then they ordered a new display unit for me (free) and I had the whole thing fixed in 1 week. Of course it was a new unit.

2. The ST40 bi-data is a very inexpensive alternative to ST60. Speed/log/depth for 350 cdn. I love mine.

Mike
Full Tilt 2