SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dinghy Motor Mount

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Squidd 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a motor mount for a West Marine Mini Dinghy....

Anyone have one or know where I could get one...

TIA

#2 ·
Let me ask this a different way...

Anyone have a round back Dinghy (as opposed to a solid transom) with a motor mount I could get a picture of, so I can fabricate a mount for mine...?

#3 ·
Avon made a series called the redcrest. Google Avon Redcrest and you will see the design and may be able to buy what you need. Have you CALLED West Marine? Dont just look online but by talking to someone at the main office, you may find what you need.

#6 ·
Thanks to google images and you tube DIY videos, I was able to construct a mount for my dinghy...

It attaches to the back of the boat on two mounting lugs and is supported, reinforced with copper tubing to the oar locks...

Needs a little prime and paint to protect it, but should be strong enough for the little buzz wacker motor I found on e-bay...after cleaning the carb, filter and lines, it starts on a half a pull...

Should beat the heck out of rowing the dinghy to shore for "dog duty"..

Reactions: christian.hess
#7 ·
Hate to keep dragging up an old thread, but that first picture was so crappy, I wanted to show what really went into building the motor mount...

The back of the dinghy had "lugs" that were designed for an optional electric motor sold by West Marine..

I wanted to incorporate them into the design so I built a transom out of marine ply and added "hooks" that clip into the lugs in back

Needed some side to side stability as well as transfering torque to a greater portion of the dinghy so I fabricated longitudinal stabilizers (braces) out of copper pipe from transom to oar locks...

These in turn are secured to the oar locks with clips

And to the transom with "J" hooks tightened from the back...

The mount seems to support the 3 hp 2 cycle (24#) motor rather securely...

And folds into a compact package for storage...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.