SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Rudder Shaft Support Bushing Fabricated

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DCDeliveryCaptain 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Thought I would post some pics of a reproduction part I made for a customer with a Ranger 37. It is the Rudder Shaft support. It is made of HDPE. The rudder shaft has worn a bit so I needed to fabricate these with a little tighter radius (about 2 hundredths of an inch). I used the CNC router and Autocad to program it and run it. I only had a 1.5 inch plastic cutter so I had to make a blocking system to line the two sides up dead nuts when I flipped them.
Thanks for checking it out.

#5 ·
Hi There,

I have a Ranger 37 with a wheel that has more than a bit of drag on the rudder. Steering system has been lubed up and checked, and I now think it may be the old bearings getting a bit tight after swelling with age. Could you tell me exactly how these are installed and if there are any tips or experiences you might want to share I would be eternally grateful. Were the ones you replaced too tight or too loose?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.