Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-15-2006

Allen Lofland is on a distinguished road
12/110 volt water heater problem

Seems like our 12 gal hot water heater is acting up...warm water only from 110 side. Is this the symptom of the element going out, are they replacable, it looks like a big socket would unscrew it outof the tank ????? Any way of testing element before removal ? Would appreciate 101 lessons on water heaters Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2006

GordMay is on a distinguished road
A HWT that is producing NO heat, almost always indicates a break in the electrical circuit; caused by either a heating element failure or a faulty connection.
Test for the presence of 12V at the element terminals.
Test for continuity on the (disconnected) element (high resistance = ok, infinate resistance = broken).
Old 07-16-2006

Thanks

thanks for th einfo, I ran a continuity test on tge element and there is none must be broken inside.Are these the same elements that Home Depot sells, or do I need to go back to Superstor for the element ????
Old 07-17-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt that the element is the same as one Home Depot stocks, as the water heaters generally used in houses are larger than the one on your boat. Also, I do believe that the design of the heater element will have to be slightly different if it is designed for 12V versus 120v—especially given that it sounds like you have two heater elements in your water heater—you did say it works under AC, but not 12 VDC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2006

I just realized what I said 12/120 NOT try 110/ engine anyway the help from above answered my problems, bad element, new one ordered thanks guys
Old 07-17-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... aren't most engine based hot water heaters not using an element but using a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the engine's cooling system to the water via the heat exchanger? I would really recommend you check the system before replacing a hot water heating element that may not be bad...because if the system uses a heat exchanger for when it is operating off the engine, the heating element is most likely not going to be live at the time... the engine's cooling system gives of more than enough heat to provide hot water without it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.