Antifouling Paint for the Great Lakes - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

Antifouling Paint for the Great Lakes

I have seen a lot of discussion about bottom paint but could not find much on what is the consensus for an efficient ablative multi season paint for cold fresh water.
I know this will generate a lot of different views and opinions, which are welcome, but I am particularly looking for recommendations on an ablative paint for the Great Lakes, keeping in mind that a future change to a different but compatible paint for warm/tropical ocean waters is imminent.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-16-2015

Re: Antifouling Paint for the Great Lakes

I have been researching exactly the same question. My impression is there is not a whole lot of difference in fresh water unless you are racing. My boat came with Micron CSC and when it is hauled in October the bottom is similar to VC17 boats. Last year I touched up flaking/bare areas with two coats of Micron and after one season they were almost completely ablated...so I guess even "multiseason" paint would need some attention every year. Also my understanding is Micron is good for fresh or salt water, and compatible with many other paints, and VC17 is not.

I am planning to sodablast and repaint either this year or next. One of the things I need to figure out is how to apply Interprotect and paint to the areas under cradle pads and the foot of the keel.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-16-2015

SV finally getting that beautiful Luders ready for the water next season? We've used Interlux's Fiberglass BottomKote with good success. We put it on top of some older bottom paint just by scuffing all over and scrapping anywhere it was flaking. It's lasted us 4 years and still looks good to go. I'll give it a little touch up in the spring and she'll be good to go. We are in Muskegon MI as you know but still cooler freshwater shouldn't be too different where you're at. The boat gets a quick power wash on the bottom when hauled every year, seems to be holding up great.

If I were to keep the boat we have for another few years I'd probably do a full bottom job and make the switch to a VC17 or similar. The extra 1/2knt or so from smoothing out the hull and the layers of old paint would be nice. But if like me you've already got ablative and don't want to put all the work into a bottom scrap or blasting go for it. BottomKote goes for around $88USD a gallon. It took 1-1/2 gal to do two coats on my 29ft, so I'd guess maybe 2 gals for 2 coats on your Luders. I could be off though. Just buy 3 gal and use the left over for your yearly touch ups.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-16-2015

Also it's funny to watch most people putting a new coat of bottom paint on every year in my yard in the spring. I just wonder WHY? At the end of the season my boats no different than theirs so why bother spending all the money EVERY year? The paints are recommend for several years of use before reapplying, and it isn't like the Great Lakes are a high fouling area either.

Interesting to hear about Micron, do you think you are having bonding issues from a few badly prepped spots? Is Micron supposed to be like VC17, or is it ablative? VC seems to be the way to go if you're starting with a bare hull or already have it on. Quick and easy to apply.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-16-2015

On our previous boat we used BottomKote, which if I recall is specifically formulated for fresh water. The last few years we switched to CSC b/c it will apparently work in both fresh and salt. Most people in our club use VC17, but most of them are racers.

Up until last season virtually all our cruising was done on Lake Superior. Quite frankly, I don't think any bottom paint is needed up here. In fact, I went from painting every year, to just touching up, to not bothering for a few years. Never generated more than a light scum.

This past season we sailed down to Lake Ontario with a fresh application of CSC (three layers I think). It did fine in the lower lakes. I just hope it will perform as well once we hit salt water.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Interesting to hear about Micron, do you think you are having bonding issues from a few badly prepped spots? Is Micron supposed to be like VC17, or is it ablative? VC seems to be the way to go if you're starting with a bare hull or already have it on. Quick and easy to apply.
Micron is ablative, and it is just wearing down like it is supposed to.
VC17 is what most people use around here and I may go that route as well if starting over. However I don't think is it compatible with anything that would work in warm salt water. I may be wrong.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-16-2015
Dirt Free

Myself and a buddy put VC Offshore over well sanded VC17 and went to salt water. It worked exceptionally well although the mfg. does not recommend it. Upon returning to fresh water I applied VC17 over the VC Offshore, it worked well and looked as smooth as the original VC17. I have done this for two trips south and intend to do it again.
skalashn and appick like this.

Dirt People Scare me
post #8 of 22 Old 01-16-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

I kept several boats in the Great Lakes. For ease (not expense) VC-17 was the way to go. It is self polishing and hard. After a season (that included both two long distance races (Chicago Mac and Bayview Mac,) family sailing, and a bunch of around the buoys stuff I would "touch up" the high wear points with one can of VC-17. Actually after the initial paint job it wasn't even expensive, a pint a year. I was sailing about 1,500 NM per year.

BTW you do have to start with a clean hull. And if you decide to go cruising (as I did) you have to get it all off. Nothing sticks to VC-17!

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #9 of 22 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
...I am planning to sodablast and repaint either this year or next. One of the things I need to figure out is how to apply Interprotect and paint to the areas under cradle pads and the foot of the keel.
Exactly my plan and doubt, however, I decided to sand the bottom instead of soda blast (funding issues), and I did that last fall. Now with a spanking clean bottom, I will barrier coat (Interprotect) and then hot coat the antifouling. I definitely don't want to repeat this project, so I am hoping to find a good paint for here, that I don't have to remove for the paint to go there...
BTW if you don't yet have the soda blaster I could point you to a good one in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
SV finally getting that beautiful Luders ready for the water next season? ...
Well, this is the plan, but I'll believe it when I see the keel getting wet...
Seems like I am fixing this boat for last 167 years...
post #10 of 22 Old 01-16-2015
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Nothing sticks to VC-17!

Fair winds and following seas
See post #7

Dirt People Scare me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.