Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-18-2006

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
ha! you serious, not in the last 20 threads I've seen you...
just kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Its the internet for God's sakes! Besides, other than you old guys, the rest of us are working...probably bored as well. We need a laugh!
The Clorox thing really works. And don't let the attendant intimidate you into not rinsing out with fresh water.
Old 07-18-2006

The stereotyping! I'm only 32!! and my first mate just flipped 30. And yes i am at work doing nothing, btw, I agree with you on looking at the Island packets, they are well built and will be more easily insured.

btw where are you not working right now anyway?

Last edited by SoOkay; 07-18-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2006

Compared to you, I am a geezer! lool. Its a great boat for the money in my opinion. You have to really know what you are doing when it comes to buying an old boat. When I say that I mean you have to know how to do things yourself or have a huge stockpile of cash.
Old 07-18-2006

Well its the downside to any used purchase. You are getting all of the previous owners problems and quirks, with out the knowledge of how to keep them from exploding in your face. And it's usually solved by first being cavalier, followed by the "anger-n-frustration stage" which runs right into the outlaying of cash for the solution.

Hey, I understand you're getting up there in years, don't hurt yourself in that flying water contraption I see of yours..hmm is that funky stance going to be an issue after the hip replacement surgery?
Old 07-18-2006

lol...my daughter always tells me that I am old and bald. Thank God for kids to let us know our shortcomings.
I actually enjoy renovating old houses and old boats. Actually have made a good living at it. So I look for the following in an old boat. (This might help our poster..)
1. What are the major issues with the model you have chosen.
(i.e., in the case of my Seawolf, fuel tanks, wiring, plumbing, holding tanks, decks, leaking).
2. What has the previous owner done to address those problems.
3. How much will it cost to repair the existing problems.
4. How much of it can you do yourself to offest the cost.
5. Take the cost of the purchase and add in the cost of renovation. Then compare it to the price of a cherry version of the boat you like.

Here is another thing I do. I prepare a full-blown Project Management type estimate of all work and calculate the costs of materials, time and labor if applicable. I think of every old boat that I buy as a business and approach strictly from a profit/loss perspective. If you can't make it work financially move on.
Old 07-18-2006

Part of their challenge is that it is a first boat purchase. And they should really do their homework and find a top surveyor that can provide real world answers to what you have outlined prior to any purchase.

**please don't buy that or any other old boat without having a survey!!
Old 07-18-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Good Riddance...

... to bad smells. I had a HUGE smell problem and it required several days of thorough cleaning. Animals had been doing their thing all over the boat. I cleaned all the surfaces with bleach, then threw out all the cushions - still smelled. I cleaned off all the remaining vinyl and apolstry, had the head hoses cleaned, the tank pumped. He also ran clean soapy water back into the tank and I used a treatment on it - I used it at 2x the recommended strength. I used wood soap and Febreezed several times too. Then cleaned out all the closets and storage areas that were musty.

I started to notice a difference - I also kept all the windows open and let the sun in for the first 2 weeks this aired it out a lot. Yesterday, I got a bucket and strong soapy water and scrubbed the carpeting and then mopped it up with a dry towel. Also plan to have it steam cleaned soon.

Also, make sure to thoroughly scrub the decks with bleach - the smells there will travel in.

Now, the boat is totally neutralized. Long story short, keep cleaning and you may need to throw a few things out, but it is well worth it and makes time on the boat much mroe enjoyable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-18-2006

So then you get a cat and start the process of stinking it up all over again. Makes sense.
Old 07-18-2006
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
I eliminated the hair/dead cell problem by installing a plastic sump with a small bilge pump below a removeable drain cover for easy cleaning. The worst odour comes from the vent pipe. Nigel Calder's trick of adding vinegar to the head makes a huge improvement, but there is still a nasty odour that wafts into the cockpit

Vetus make an air-ionizing device that is fitted into the holding tank vent line. but it is costly and it would be good to know if anyone else has had success with this or similar unit.

Regards

Alan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.