Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-18-2007

phibbard is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank Treatment

Purchased this boat recently and have a build up of material - "fibrous" material in holding tank even after pump out. Was looking for recommendations on getting this out. Is there an enzyme treatment that works on the tough jobs? Or do I need to physically remove the debris from the tank through the top access port? This material inside is limiting my holding tank capacity to 1/2.

Thanks,

Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Peter -
There is a time when you just need to pinch your nostrils with one hand, roll up your shirt sleeve and scrape out the sludge with the other.

If your tank's half full of "fibrous" solids - no enzyme treatment I know of will do a good job of removing it. You might try using a pressure washer to loosen the material first.
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
*Shudder* holding tank half-full of fibrous sludge of unknown origin... UGH...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Anybody used these?

If so, how well did they work?
Old 07-18-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Six months ago I bought a product called GONZO ODOUR ELIMINATOR. I hung it in the head and within 8 hours all odours in the head were eliniminated not masked illiminated. The package cost $5.00 and lasts 8 months to a year. After that you leave it out in the sunshine for 6 hours and your good for another 8 months plus. It can be ordered on line at The Gonzo Corp. I highly recommend this product. I tried all the other tricks and found nothing that provided me with a satisfactory solution until I tried Gonzo. I have no affiliation with this product or company.
Old 07-19-2007

robfinora is on a distinguished road
Smile Ways to eliminate odor

Here is what I did and it worked:fficeffice" />>>
>>
My '78 Catalina had all sorts of odors when I took her over. You will need to do the following:>>
>>
- Replace all head hoses with the best-quality hoses available (do some research on this online).>>
- I re-plumbed my head raw-water intake line to pull water from my head sink drain. What I did was put a "T" in the raw water intake seacock and use that for both draining the sink and water intake for the head to flush. But here is the catch - I keep it closed and flush the head AFTER I wash my hands. That way I pull through fresh-soapy water instead of smelly salt water. Critters that live in seawater are a MAJOR source of boat odor>>
- Get a good enzyme catalytic to feed your holding tank and make sure itís properly vented.>>
- Go through the entire boat with lots of bleach - everywhere: surfaces, wood, cabinets, bilge...everything. You need to kill all the mold. Then varnish all interior wood to seal it up and prevent mold from coming back. Paint all the underside wood located behind cabinets and such - mold will fester on any unprotected wood.>>
- Wash, clean or replace any curtains, cushions, etc - fabric holds the odor.>>
- Hang dryer sheets inside lockers or cabinets. They absorb odor and keep everything smelling fresh. Each one should last the season or almost.>>
- Install a nicro day/night solar and battery powered vent and install an additional passive vent or cowl.>>
- Degrease the engine and bilge>>
- try your best to stop any rain-water leaks that might keep your bilge wet. You need a dry interior so mold and bacteria can't grow.>>
- Keep your boat free of any unnecessary clutter and junk - especially paper, cloth or cardboard - stuff that could absorb moisture.>>
- Try to get out for a sail in-between all this >>
>>
I did everything here over the course of a few years and my boat has absolutely no smell whatsoever. No matter how bad the smell - it will leave once you accomplish all this and any other reccos you pick up from the group here.>>
>>
Rob >>
Old 07-19-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog says, ...by soaking a cotton towel in hot water and wrapping it around the hose, and then when the rag has cooled, taking it off and sniffing it. If it smells, then the hoses need replacement.
__________________________________________________ ___
Now that is a really neat trick. I’ll have to remember that one.

Surfesq says, When you pump out...fill the tank back up with fresh water and then pump it out again. Then put one cup of clorox brand bleach into the holding tank.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Be careful of bleach, many heads say not to use it because it does like to eat through things. That’s how we broke the last head.

Alanl says, Vetus make an air-ionizing device that is fitted into the holding tank vent line. but it is costly and it would be good to know if anyone else has had success with this or similar unit.
__________________________________________________ __________
Skip and I are also interested to know if anyone is using this product. We have been using vinegar, but still, on occasion get some smell in the cockpit when under sail.

Kathleen
Aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bleach is not good in a holding tank since it kills useful bacteria that will break down waste and thus you end up with tanks that smell even more. That assumes you pour it in through the deck fill.
Instead of killing bacteria...suggest adding some to enhance the breakdown process and reduce smell. There are lots of these products sold for RV's so you don't have to buy the "marinized" products!
Example:http://naturalenviro.com/rv.htm

You should NEVER use bleach in the head itself as it will degrade the rubber parts & valves...this includes the use of products like clorox bowl cleaner that contain blach. BonAmi is the cleaner of choice.
Old 07-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SchoonerMistress-

I'd love to take credit for that, but I have to give credit to Peggy Hall, the dean of marine plumbing... for the idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-19-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I just bought a really old boat (not quite as old as that but close) that was used as a liveaboard by an old guy with very very questionable hygiene. In fact, we found a few small dead mice when taking stuff out!!!

One thing that really makes a difference in smell is a VERY thorough cleaning of things that don't seem to matter on the first look. We removed everything from the boat - all items, cushons etc. But that is not enough. Older boats tend to have a convenient constructon in that there is no cabin liner and almost everything is potentially accessble. So, I actually removed teak battens that cover both walls of the V-berth. It was amazing how much dirt, hair and sheer disgustness can hide behind them. A few buckets of water, pine-sol and a good brush get rid of that, though. And now there is no smell in V berth - with a hatch open and a light breeze it is actually kinda nice

I also took apart the entire galley cabinetry, same deal there. The toilet took a bit more work, part of the problem was the entire disgusting old system (old tolet, flexble tank, old white rigid hoses) - that went to trash first thing.