Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006

chuckg5 is on a distinguished road
top side boat paint

Does anyone know the name of a paint I read about in a sail mag
that's made in the Netherlands call epiphoses---something like that,
it could be bought up in Thomaston, Maine. Its advertised as the shiniest, smoothest, ect. boat paint? I'd like to find it. I have to paint a 1980 vagabond 42 ketch's topsides an that looked mighty fine.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Dude...Vagabond 42 Ketch? Righteous boat. I have a Seawolf 41 Ketch.
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart because I am in the process of re-doing my boat. The brand is Epifanes. They make a fantastic varnish. I am not familiar with their paint but I would love to know how it works for you. I am considering using Interlux Perfection.

Here is a link to the Epifanes site:

http://www.epifanes.com/
Old 07-19-2006

chuckg5 is on a distinguished road
thanks for quick reply

surfer
that links lead me to the thomaston, Maine supplier, thanks!
I emailed them to ask what would be the best method to repaint. Some previous own had brushed paint over the whole topsides, (the decks - teak)
an it now looks terrible. powdery, uneven, bumpy, dirty white with mildew growing in the visible brush strokes. Its insulting to this beautiful lady of a boat.
Old 07-19-2006

Its funny, I have been trying to get this topic going for a while so I am glad that I finally found someone else who is going to give it a go.
The previous owner brushed the cabin on my boat. It can look really bad if it is not done correctly.
But like the epiphanes, awlgrip and Interlux all claim to work well with rolling and tipping.
I am personally going to use a gravity fed sprayer. You need to know that it is a dangerous product and you have to take serious precautions like breathers, suits, etc. But it can be done. Plus the advantage of spraying is that you can knock out the hull in three days!
Old 07-19-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Its funny, I have been trying to get this topic going for a while so I am glad that I finally found someone else who is going to give it a go.
The previous owner brushed the cabin on my boat. It can look really bad if it is not done correctly.
But like the epiphanes, awlgrip and Interlux all claim to work well with rolling and tipping.
I am personally going to use a gravity fed sprayer. You need to know that it is a dangerous product and you have to take serious precautions like breathers, suits, etc. But it can be done. Plus the advantage of spraying is that you can knock out the hull in three days!
Epiphanes is top notch varnish if applied properly. I don't know anything about the paint, however.
Old 07-19-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chuck... with such a nice boat, I would suggest you use a 2 part polyurethane solution either from epifanes or awl grip. Given your description of the current topsides you will need to put in a lot of labor before you ever touch the paint sprayer. Sand and fair the surfaces using a mfr. recommended filler to smooth things out. Clean hull thoroughly with drying agent/solvent to remove all traces of dirt/grit/wax etc.
Tape and protect all non-paintable surfaces and cover the boat or move indoors to prevent dirt/dust/insects and wind blown debris from marring your surface. Then do a primer coat for good adhesion and sand out and remaining blemishes you spot. That is 95% of the work. Now you are ready to apply your new paint for an hour or two! Be sure you know what you are getting in to or you will not get good results regardless of the product you use...I would estimate at least 2 full workweeks in prep for your size boat.
BTW... I've had excellent results with AWLGRIP2000 both initially and over time.
ChasingBlueSky likes this.
Old 07-19-2006

Camaraderie: I was serious about using awlgrip but it is very expensive. (They recommend spraying outside incidentally). The Interlux Two Part Perfection is allegedly just as good and durable and is significantly less expensive. I am going to give it a whirl.
Old 07-19-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
camaraderie is right on. Prep is where a good paint job starts and is the biggest and most important part of the job. You can apply paint that costs $1000.00 a gallon and it will still look like poop if the prep isn't done.

I've sprayed Imron on a couple of boats and it's tough as nails. All of the 2 part paints with catalysts and hardeners are not good for your respiratory system and should be used with care and the proper safety equipment.
Old 07-19-2006

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
We had a discussion about painting topsides recently in another thread. In that tread I discussed how I had successfully painted my Rival 32 using Perfection paint and how I did it. I also posted in my photo gallery before and after pictures of the boat. Rolling and Tipping worked for me and it was my first time.
Old 07-21-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
A COUPLE OF THINGS I LEARNED

Hi.

There

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.