Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago

novic is on a distinguished road
Boat wire: is SAE tinned "good enough"?

Had a great weekend at the Toronto boat show. Certainly lots of big fancy boats to step aboard and dream about. More importantly as a newer boat owner, I got to meet lots of local businesses in the industry and start planning ahead for future projects. Like any good boat-related event, I also got to thoroughly empty my bank account...

I'm having a bit of an issue with one of my larger purchases: several hundred feet of "marine wire" ranging from 1/0 to 14 gauge. This was advertised as Ancor product that was priced at roughly 40-50% off local retail pricing. What I ended up getting in the box is SAE wire labelled "C.S. Wire & Cable" rated at 80deg and 50V. I freely admit I'm a bit of stickler for details, but in my mind this isn't quite the same as AWG wire rated at 105deg and 600V.

After noticing this, I called up the retailer today and was assured that the wire I bought was manufactured by Ancor but is older stock. I was also told that 105deg wire is very new and difficult to source in Canada.

I'm being given the option of either returning the wire for a full refund or paying an additional cost to exchange it for newer wire if they are able to source it. Complicating this, is a 4 hour return trip to the store or paying shipping charges. Given I got a great price on the wire, should I just go ahead and stop fretting the details?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat wire: is SAE tinned "good enough"?

Everything you ever wanted to know about boat cable :

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....1426.1986.pdf

Note that it does refer to an SAE standard for 50V boat cable, SAEJ1127.

So it IS possible that what you have is boat cable. See page 17 of the standard. It may be labelled with the SAE three letter code, and the temperature rating.

What does the label say, exactly?

Last edited by MarkSF; 1 Week Ago at 03:29 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

aloof is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you got ripped off. If SAE indicates it is acceptable to auto manufacturers ... um ... that's setting the bar desperately low. I cannot think of any product with lower standards and specs than an automobile.
Old 1 Week Ago

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Sounds like you got ripped off. If SAE indicates it is acceptable to auto manufacturers ... um ... that's setting the bar desperately low. I cannot think of any product with lower standards and specs than an automobile.
As your signature suggests, don't let facts get in the way.
Old 1 Week Ago

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by novic View Post
Had a great weekend at the Toronto boat show. Certainly lots of big fancy boats to step aboard and dream about. More importantly as a newer boat owner, I got to meet lots of local businesses in the industry and start planning ahead for future projects. Like any good boat-related event, I also got to thoroughly empty my bank account...

I'm having a bit of an issue with one of my larger purchases: several hundred feet of "marine wire" ranging from 1/0 to 14 gauge. This was advertised as Ancor product that was priced at roughly 40-50% off local retail pricing. What I ended up getting in the box is SAE wire labelled "C.S. Wire & Cable" rated at 80deg and 50V. I freely admit I'm a bit of stickler for details, but in my mind this isn't quite the same as AWG wire rated at 105deg and 600V.

After noticing this, I called up the retailer today and was assured that the wire I bought was manufactured by Ancor but is older stock. I was also told that 105deg wire is very new and difficult to source in Canada.

I'm being given the option of either returning the wire for a full refund or paying an additional cost to exchange it for newer wire if they are able to source it. Complicating this, is a 4 hour return trip to the store or paying shipping charges. Given I got a great price on the wire, should I just go ahead and stop fretting the details?

Thanks for your help!
#1 You are being lied to. 105C UL Marine wire has been around in excess of 25 years. Hard to get my arse.

#2 Ancor does not make wire, they brand wire...

Return it, the guy seems a bit snakey.. If you paid for 105C BC5W2 UL1426 wire that is what you should get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 1 Week Ago at 04:04 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

CS Cruiser is on a distinguished road

Exactly what Maine sail says, and also you may be using this for only 12V applications, cannot be used for any 120v or 240v wiring on your boat. Better to stick with 105c rated conductors as will be good also if you run thru engine compartment.
In the end best to have 105c-600v rated wiring.....
Old 1 Week Ago

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Yep... as Mainesail and others have suggested you got ripped off... simple online search reveals:

GPT Automotive Hook Up Wire

GPT Wire
Volts: 50V
Temperature: 80ºC

GPT Wire Insulation
Polyvinylchloride Insulation

GPT Wire Conductor
Stranded Bare Copper

GPT Wire Applications

For use in general circuit wiring according to SAE J-1128. It is also used in wiring harnesses in passenger cars and light trucks, agricultural tractors, construction, locomotive and off-the-road vehicles. Intended for use at 50 volts or less in surface vehicle electrical systems.
Old 1 Week Ago

pcmm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by novic View Post

The retailer is feeding you a pack of lies. I'm based Toronto and fully rewired my boat 15 years ago with all marine Ancor wire 105c rated. Its in every real chandlery very easy to find!. Sounds like the retailer was trying to dump cheap wire at premium prices. Pending the outcome you should let us know who they are so we can avoid them

Also when you eventually go to sell a good surveyor will notice that you used incorrect wire and should note it in their report as an item to remedy (I.E. lower selling price)

Last edited by pcmm; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

novic is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the quick replies. I had a suspicion this would be the consensus. Interestingly, a search on the address found on some of the packaging for "C.S. wire and cable" seems to historically be associated with Marinco/Ancor but a quick call to them confirms that they have no information about the wire I have in hand.

Drats. Looks like I'm going to have to take a road trip down for a refund. Although I've never shopped with this store before, I was really hoping to establish a good relationship with them, as they came highly recommended to me as a local supplier of general marine goods but also specific original parts/replacements for my boat. In hindsight, although they genuinely came across as very nice and honest folks at the show, i have a hard time believing they genuinely mistook this old (?ancient) wiring as equivalent to what they are advertising.

In any event, if anyone else in the Toronto area is/was looking into a great deal on Ancor marine wire, buyer beware and please feel free to PM me so I can give you the details of my transaction.

Thank you again for everyone's help.
Old 1 Week Ago

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Something that can explain it all:

SAE wire gauges and AWG wire gauges (which Ancor usually uses) are NOT THE SAME. An SAE wire size is normally 1-2 sizes under the corresponding AWG size, as I recall, so if you order AWG-10 wire, and you get "SAE-10" you've really gotten AWG-14, a very much smaller, thinner, CHEAPER wire.

The merchant is basically paying by the pound for copper, and when they deliver a size or two lighter? Right, they have saved lots of money. AND CHEATED YOU.

This could be actionable fraud (mail fraud, wire fraud, etc.) in the US. It would also be delivering non-conforming goods, which would both release you from any obligation to accept them.

Could be some sort of relabeling mix-up, sure. But CHECK THE WIRE on a gauge (or use a wire stripper, see if it strips at the right size) and if you were sent non-confirming goods, tell the vendor you're on to the game. They can send a pre-paid pickup slip, or they can explain it to the fraud investigators.

There's just too much of this ***t going on. It IS simply criminal, and we all need to roll up our sleeves and pitch in to stop it. If you used a credit card, non-conforming goods is a perfect reason to call the card company and reject the charges.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (1 Week Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.