Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-19-2006

bobcarter is on a distinguished road
Adding a Bowsprit

I found an article in a mag that showed mounting a bowsprit for asym spins on an anchor roller, by removing the roller and bolting on a bracket to accept the bowsprit then fastening the aft end to the deck. Unfortunately I lost the article. Could I get some Help finding it again?
Thanks! Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2006

chuckg5 is on a distinguished road
Bowsprit

Hi Bob
I'm trying to do the same thing. Yesterday I kicked out the broken sprit of our 42 Vagabond ketch. I'm starting to call around to find a wood shop with that kind of a log so it can be cut to size, the thing has to be 8 feet long & weight of 80 pounds, more or less. I'll keep looking for your answer when someone can post it.
chuckg
Old 07-19-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Sail Mag

I think you might be referring to the March 2006 Sail magazine. In March I responded to post form a sailor in Europe on another forum. Since apparently the magazine was not availabe to him, I sent him a digital photograph of the article. Were a few folks contact me with their email address off-line I'd be willing to do the same.

In later correspondence, he informed me that he had purchased a removal sprit from Sparcraft (www.sparcraft.fr) for a Beneteau First 40.7. At the time I looked at the Web site, no surprise that it's in French, and could not find the sprit.

Actually, I'm somewhat interested as well and would prefer a retractable, removable sprit.
Old 07-20-2006

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
i had one made by fkg rigging in st maarten

it is s/s with an aluminum pole and a harken standup block at the end.
i don't know how to post a pix so if you would like pix of it please e-mail me
eric Kimberlite@optonline.net
Old 07-20-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
Chuck,
You might want to look at getting a sprit made up of laminated wood. It would be easier to get done and would allow the builder to optimize the grain and to choose better wood since the quality of large pieces is so poor these days. An epoxy laminated piece would be stronger than a solid piece.
Old 07-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I'd be aware of. Most bow rollers are designed to resist downward forces on them, but not necessarily designed to resist upward forces as well. A removable bow sprit, with a large asymetric attached, is going to generate some fairly significant upward forces on the bow roller if the bow roller is used to fasten it to the deck. If your bow roller is not strong enough to withstand these forces, it may tear from the deck, in the worst case scenario, leaving you with: 1) a large hole in the fore deck, 2) no good way to secure your ground tackle, 3) possibly damage the forestay chainplate.

If your bow roller and forestay chainplate and part of the same piece, it may be sufficiently well secure to resist the upward forces generated by the asym.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Bouts-Dehors

That sub-topic might get some attention.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I thought that Sparcraft offers a removable bow sprit. Try URL http://www.sparcraft.fr/fr/main.asp?...&f=2,81,,113,a

From there you can follow a link to the characteristics and also to a brochure.
Old 07-24-2006

chuckg5 is on a distinguished road
Bow Sprit

SteveCox
I went down to the specality lumber yard and they suggested the same, to epoxy a couple of 3" X 8' boards together. I need to talk with a boat carpenter to see what kind of cuts and grain he would want to use, then widdle it down to size. I use to 'widdle' a branch down in the woods of Maine as a kid with my boyscout knife - just not the same skill level.
Old 07-25-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Chuck, I just replaced the 9 foot bowsprit on a Westsail for exactly the same reason as you are facing - rot. When the owner and I began shopping for the right sized chunk of teak, we ran into an insurmountable wall of sticker-shock. We thought some people were gouging, but soon realized that EVERYONE wanted the same price, and that teak has gone through the roof. The 4x4 we needed (teak walkways bolted to each side) would be $300.

We even considered an aftermarket stainless steel unit, but it was $1000 and slathered with a thick coat of ugly.

Just 'because' we went into a local lumberyard and asked for Ipe. $100 got us a beautiful Ipe 4x4 12' long. It was straight and clear and heavy as stone. It IS a little darker than teak when varnished, but it is beautiful and 'rock' solid. Everyone compliments my friend on the unit, and only a few notice the difference in the color.

Opposite end of the dock, on a boat very much like your Vagabond, the owner used select mahogany to laminate a fabulous bowsprit that me and my friend saw being carted down the dock just yesterday. He had REALLY outdone himself on that beauty and I mentioned it was too pretty to be left outside. Now he's going to have to upgrade the finish all over the boat.
Old 07-25-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
Where you are is going to determine to some extent what wood you use but I have to ask "WHY THE H*** WOULD YOU USE TEAK FOR A BOWSPRIT??????" The two great attributes of Teak are that it won't rot (easily) and that it provides a natural non skid surface. You can duplicate the first attribute easily enough with other woods and you don't need the second on a sprit. For my money here in the Pacific Northwest I am using Doug Fir to replace my bowsprit. Strong, relatively light, and reasonable in price. Ipe would be fine but too heavy IMHO, Jatoba might be a good choice, Yellow Cedar would be another good one. Anything other than Teak at $16 a board foot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.