Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 4 Days Ago
NOOB

lumpy102 is on a distinguished road
masthead sheaves

we've just purchased a C&C 33 MKII, it looks like none of the halyards have EVER been replaced, Westmarine is having a sale today, which brings me to my questions. Is anyone familiar with the masthead on a C&C 33? the halyards are cable/rope and I was wondering about the sheaves up there, are they cut for the 5/32 cable or are they cut for the 7/16 lines? have I missed the opportunity to replace everything at a 40% savings? can the sheaves be replaced easily or do I need to take the mast down? I'm a rope rescue tech so working at height isnt going to bother me. (the boat is 250 miles from where I live or I'd go have a look see)
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 4 Days Ago

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Re: masthead sheaves

I have a similar vintage 29-II. VPC halyards have worked well for me with the original sheaves. 10MM VPC which is on sale is what I would recommend for the jib and main halyards. 3/8" Sta Set for the spinnaker halyard.

I would also go aloft with a file to check and fix any burrs on the sheaves.

If you are racing a lot you might want to use 8MM V-100 for the jib halyard. Very, very low stretch

Good luck, those rope prices at West are really good for today only.
Old 4 Days Ago

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Sheaves that are made specifically for rope & wire halyards have a groove within a groove. The larger groove fits the rope, and inside that, a smaller one is for the halyard. The edge of the small groove abrades the rope. I had the same situation on my Alajuela. The sheaves were high-quality, made of aluminum and bronze. So I took them to a machine shop and had them turned on a lathe to eliminate the secondary groove. Cost 10 bucks each for 6. It took maybe 1/4" or so from the diameter, which still left adequate diameter for the line I was using. Using the rope/wire sheaves for all-rope was advised against by various published authorities--I think N. Calder and Brion Toss.
By the way, I've bought lots of running rigging from Milwaukee Rigging, who have a store on Ebay. They auction pre-cut lengths, usually New England Ropes brand, often with eye splices, for much less than WM sells the stuff for on sale. If you can wait and accumulate the lengths/sizes/colors you want over a little time, you save a lot of money. I have no connection with them other than having bought from them several times.
JV

Last edited by VallelyJ; 4 Days Ago at 10:12 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
NOOB

lumpy102 is on a distinguished road

vallelyj thanks for the response, will check Milwalkee rigging out
Old 4 Days Ago

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

My Alberg 30 masthead sheave was setup for wire to rope halyard and that's what was on the boat when I bought her. The rope portion of the original halyard had started to seriously deteriorate, needed replacing. After researching on the net found most people simply changed to all rope. That's what I did, NE ropes Sta-set. After 3 seasons of sailing it, I did not notice any issues with the all rope halyard. I recently took mast down and inspected all the lines for chafe and fraying, didn't find any issues.

Good luck with your research and project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 3 Days Ago

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I've replaced original wire/rope halyards on my last two boats and didn't change the masthead sheaves. No issues noted. FWIW I used VPC on my current boat (Cal 33-2) and like it. Got it from Defender and had them do the splice.

Good luck with the new boat!!

Last edited by JimsCAL; 3 Days Ago at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.