Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-31-2001

chaseman is on a distinguished road
Battery Charger

I have just bought a boat (24'' Neptune) and sail it on a lake in Missouri. A friend and I use it on alternate weekends and we need a way to keep the battery charged. We do not live in the same town.

I think I need a small solar panel and a regulator, but I''m not sure what the best set up would be. The only electrical requirements are for lighting (We have a tiny outboard with manual start). We like to anchor out in a cove in the evening, and we do a little night sailing. I was hoping someone could make a recommendation.

I appreciate any help that I could get.

Thanks a lot,

Chase
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Battery Charger

My Colgate 26 that I bought new recently came with a Uni-Solar solar battery charger (Model #USF-5). I use my battery for lights, VHF radio and thats about it. Their web address is: www.ovonic.com/unisolar.html, and their phone # is 1-800-843-3892. In my owner''s manual they show 3 models. Mine is the smallest. It just hooks right up to the 12 volt battery via a cable. I just lay the charger on the deck where there is sun. No regulator is needed for my setup. It says in the manual that you only need a regulator if "the rated peak charging current in amperes, of the Solar Battery Charger is less than approximately 1.5% of the battery capacity, in ampere-hours..."
The model that I have is specified as a "maintenance charger". The next model up (USF-11) is a "power source for weekending,and coastal cruising..."
Good luck.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-09-2001

chaseman is on a distinguished road
Battery Charger

Hey thanks a lot Rob. I copied down their address and I will check out their sight. Your setup sounds like it''s what I am looking for.

Chase