Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-27-2006

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Winch Questions

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm still a little shaky on the self tailing winches, but I'll get a marina mate to show me.

I have cleats next to all of my winches, so that has not been an issue. However, when beating or reaching, I have been avoiding using the winches to adjust sheets by simply turning a little into the wind to get the sail to luff, and then tightening as necessary. Perhaps I'm a little too sensitive to the loads. The boat can take more than I have dished out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Too Small ?

It is possible that your winches are a bit on the small side if you are having trouble grinding them in. Check you manufacturers web page for suggested sail areas to see if this is an issue.

Gary
Old 07-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It could also be that the winches may need a bit of TLC. If the internals haven't been recently CLA'd then they may make it a good deal harder to winch in than should be the case.

PS. CLA-Clean Lube Adjust... from my photog days.

BTW, what size and make are the winches, and what kind of boat are they on??? I can't think of many boats that come will all self-tailing winches, much less 10 of them. Most come with 2-6 self-tailing winches, depending on how the genny sheets, spinnaker sheets and main sheet are rigged. The ones on the mast, usually 2 winches, are usually not self-tailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
How easy is it to clean/lube self tailing winches?

I am familiar with the process to take apart and clean single speed winches (Lewmar and Barient), but am a bit intimidated by the two speed self-tailing winches on my larger boat. I have read instructions and reviewed diagrams, but that hasn't made me feel any more comfortable with tackling this. The boat is in the water, so I'm also concerned about losing parts overboard (I know about placing a cardboard box over the winch to catch stray items, but I think this will be only marginally helpful--those springs jump high!
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Frank.
Old 07-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could always do what my friend does with their winches... the box over the top... with a hole cut in the bottom, and then some pantyhose over the top of the box, and use the legs of the pantyhose as gloves to work on it with. Doesn't really seem to interfere with your dexterity from what I've seen...but does look quite silly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-27-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
I hadn't thought of the panty hose idea, but it sounds like it could work, though it sure would look silly at the dock--might be justification to anchor out for an evening!
Can you also comment on how different a two speed self-tailing winch would be from the single speed that I have serviced on previous boats--are they much more complicated inside, and best left to someone who knows what they're doing in this department, or is it relatively straight-forward once I take the drum off?

Thanks.
Frank.
Old 07-27-2006
Telstar 28

They're relatively straight forward. They are a bit more complicated, as they have more working pieces, mainly as they are needed for the second speed/gear ratio and the self-tailing device has some springs for the clutch that adjusts to different line sizes, but you should be able to handle it.

One good piece of advice—Get a big parts tray to keep things organized and use a digital camera to document how it came apart and should go back together.

Telstar 28
New England