SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Diesel Fuel Tank Retrofit

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I want to start off right on my 1981 O'Day 34's fuel system. Actually all the systems but the fuel one is the current one of concern.

When I purchased her the fuel tank (30 gal)was leaking. I've had a new one built for her by the original tank manufacturer (Flordia Marine Tanks, nice people). And will install it this weekend.

If you were starting with a new diesel fuel system what would you do besides installing new primary and secondary filters? I have new hoses from the supply and return side of the tank and will also replace the fill and vent hoses.

Are there any additives that I should use initially and continue to use?

Is a truck stop a good source of diesel?

Should I remove the rail to have it boiled out and the injectors tested?

Scott

#2 ·
Truck stop's generally give you the freshest fuel especially the bigger ones. BUT the trick is that you are buying on road, taxed fuel. By buying from a marina or similar offroad fuel supplier, you will save money. Pennies but they do add up.

#4 ·
I would install a setup that has dual primary filters, in parallel, so that you can change the filters without having to bleed the fuel system or stop the engine.

#6 ·
My friend's boat has a dual parallel primary filter system, as he has been caught trying to power off a lee shore, and had the fuel filter clog from the debris that is generally stirred up from the bottom of the tank in heavy seas. Stopping the engine, changing the filter and trying to bleed the fuel system before restarting the engine would have cost him his boat, as it nearly did once, before he installed the new filter system.

#7 · (Edited)
mariner3302 said:
Truck stop's generally give you the freshest fuel especially the bigger ones. BUT the trick is that you are buying on road, taxed fuel. By buying from a marina or similar offroad fuel supplier, you will save money. Pennies but they do add up.
You can save even more money if you contact your local heating oil company and use that for your first tank. Same product just dyed red.
I know of several heating oil company's that will make delivery's to your boat

#10 ·
Surfesq said:
Scott: I filter the fuel when I fill up the tank. It takes a little longer but you would be surprised what shows up in the filter.
I know what you mean, and just got a friend one of the nice portable water separator/filter funnels... but I don't have to do this generally, as I usually fill the jerry cans I use for fuel at the local gas station.. :D

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.