Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-26-2006

sailingcal21 is on a distinguished road
Diesel Fuel Tank Retrofit

I want to start off right on my 1981 O'Day 34's fuel system. Actually all the systems but the fuel one is the current one of concern.

When I purchased her the fuel tank (30 gal)was leaking. I've had a new one built for her by the original tank manufacturer (Flordia Marine Tanks, nice people). And will install it this weekend.

If you were starting with a new diesel fuel system what would you do besides installing new primary and secondary filters? I have new hoses from the supply and return side of the tank and will also replace the fill and vent hoses.

Are there any additives that I should use initially and continue to use?

Is a truck stop a good source of diesel?

Should I remove the rail to have it boiled out and the injectors tested?

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2006
Retired US Marine

mariner3302 is on a distinguished road
Truck stop's generally give you the freshest fuel especially the bigger ones. BUT the trick is that you are buying on road, taxed fuel. By buying from a marina or similar offroad fuel supplier, you will save money. Pennies but they do add up.
Old 07-26-2006

Eleanna is on a distinguished road
Every marin fuel stop i've seen is charging more for the fuel then any gasstation or truck stop i've seen down here in florida.
Using one 1 micron filter should be sufficient enough but change it every 50 hr for the first 2-300 hr and after that every 100 hr.

E.
Old 07-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would install a setup that has dual primary filters, in parallel, so that you can change the filters without having to bleed the fuel system or stop the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-26-2006

You dont need to bleed the system after a filter change all you have to do is top off the canister with diesel and that will avoid problems such as bleeding the system.
And who is gonna change filter under way?

E.
Old 07-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My friend's boat has a dual parallel primary filter system, as he has been caught trying to power off a lee shore, and had the fuel filter clog from the debris that is generally stirred up from the bottom of the tank in heavy seas. Stopping the engine, changing the filter and trying to bleed the fuel system before restarting the engine would have cost him his boat, as it nearly did once, before he installed the new filter system.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-26-2006
FORCED TO RETIRE AT 54

BEANS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner3302
Truck stop's generally give you the freshest fuel especially the bigger ones. BUT the trick is that you are buying on road, taxed fuel. By buying from a marina or similar offroad fuel supplier, you will save money. Pennies but they do add up.

You can save even more money if you contact your local heating oil company and use that for your first tank. Same product just dyed red.
I know of several heating oil company's that will make delivery's to your boat

Last edited by BEANS; 07-26-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2006

I see what you are saying but again cleaning your tank every year or two and changing filters on a scedule will avoid situations like that.

E.
Old 07-26-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Scott: I filter the fuel when I fill up the tank. It takes a little longer but you would be surprised what shows up in the filter.
Old 07-26-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Scott: I filter the fuel when I fill up the tank. It takes a little longer but you would be surprised what shows up in the filter.
I know what you mean, and just got a friend one of the nice portable water separator/filter funnels... but I don't have to do this generally, as I usually fill the jerry cans I use for fuel at the local gas station..

Telstar 28
New England