Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-27-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Garmin GPSMAP76

I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP76 and it seems pretty neat. I cannot speak to accuracy, except to say that if I hold the unit near my face, then snap my arm straight, it registers the speed. Now, I think anything that gets information from satelites that can tell I just moved it two feet has got my confidence.

Anyway, it came with a PC Serial Port cable and I plugged it in, just because, you know, why not? As I look through the manual, a (?) hovers over my head as I wonder if this connection has any possible use without buying the Bluechart CD and importing charts?

I don't intend to install charts. I prefer waterproof cockpit charts, depth sounder, compass, and now, a good GPS signal, to navigate. Maybe someday down the road I'll get a nice, big-screen chart plotter. Not now.

So here's my question. Does anyone know of a PC Navigation software that can both make use of Maptech charts and show the Garmin GPSMAP76 at the same time? I would love to be able to set up Waypoint routes in the evening by the point and click method, then navigate with them the next day.

Yes, I know I can do it manually. I was just wondering. I have several older nav programs I use to view the charts, but none of them 'see' the Garmin GPS. I know I can get a GPS Receiver with USB Plug and Play compatibility, but all that does is put a moving boat on a chart system I won't have access to while cruising and don't intend to use for active navigation.

Thanks, Hawk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Garmin Mapsource software is well worth installing, even if you don't plan on installing any charts, as it will allow you to manage the tracks, waypoints, and routes, fairly easily. The serial cable will allow your PC to talk to the GPSMAP76 and transfer the data back and forth. Also, setting up multiple routes and waypoints kind of sucks on the 76xx units, and is much easier to do if you set them up on Mapsource and then transfer them.

If you later get a Garmin GPS Chartplotter, like the 498 unit, then you can transfer the same waypoints, routes and tracks over to it using Mapsource, a Garmin data card, and a Garmin USB card reader.

Seaclear may work for you as a simple navigation software package. Mapsource also has a basic navigator package that comes with their chart kits, that should allow you to take the GPS NMEA data over the serial port cable as well.

You need to set the GPSMAP 76 up so that the serial port is set for NMEA 0183 data at 4800 baud, otherwise most programs won't recognize it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-28-2006

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Chart software

I have a GPS76 (not MAP76) and I use a software package called SeaPro which runs on Admiralty raster charts. Haven't figured out how to use the NOAA freeware charts yet. Back to the point. . .
I use my charting software on a notebook to set up waypoints by clicking, dropping and dragging waypoints to where I want them and then compiling a route. This uploads directly to the Garmin via the serial cable. It works an absolute treat and I guess the MAP76 will work the same. Don't know anything about their Mapsource charting though.
The other thing that the serial cable is used for is o upload patches and new versions of software from Garmin.com.
Old 07-30-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Awesome fix Sailingdog! Setting the Nema as you said provided not only GPS to my new Garmin Mapsource World CD, but also to my old Nobeltech, which I use to look at the free Maptech downloaded charts.

The little boat shows up and changes direction if I hold the GPS out at arms length from side to side. Incredible resolution.

I'll do some more reading and playing and get right up to speed, but I can't see myself getting more equipment or trying to intergrate to my autopilot. I just believe I should be sailing my boat and paying complete attention to where I am and what I'm doing. But I do love this little doohickey.

Hawk
Old 07-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I do a lot of work near my marina configuring and updating Garmin and other GPS units. Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.