SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Anodes & Corrosion (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/18620-anodes-corrosion.html)

serendib 07-27-2006 02:57 PM

Anodes & Corrosion

I am doing some reseach on anodes and would be interested to hear stories (good or bad) on experiences with anodes, whether hull mounted, shaft anodes or prop anodes. Salt or Fresh water use

Many thanks

Malcolm

SailinJay 07-27-2006 10:10 PM

What are you really asking about here? Sacrificial anodes are a requirement on props and/or shafts to prevent/reduce corrosion of the metal. There are also anodes that screw into marine engines to prevent/reduce corrosion. Are you looking for information on brands of anodes, types, or sizes of anodes and how they perform?

Fstbttms 07-27-2006 11:38 PM

Yes, I agree, a strange question. Almost as if he were asking if anodes were a good idea or not.

Serendib, try to ask a more specific question and you will find a great wealth of knowledge here. Not to toot my own horn, but I install zincs for a living and see them doing their jobs in real-world (underwater) applications every day.

FrankLanger 07-28-2006 11:15 AM

Fastbottoms....

Fastbottoms,
With your experience installing zincs on boats, can you tell me if there is a general lifespan for zincs on prop shafts and pencil zincs in diesel motors? I moor the boat in the Pacific Ocean on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I just bought this boat in Spring, replaced the zincs then, and am wondering when I will likely have to do it again--annually? semi-annually? I know that this may vary depending on conditions, but is there a general rule of thumb?
thanks,
Frank.

Fstbttms 07-30-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankLanger
Fastbottoms,
With your experience installing zincs on boats, can you tell me if there is a general lifespan for zincs on prop shafts and pencil zincs in diesel motors? I moor the boat in the Pacific Ocean on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I just bought this boat in Spring, replaced the zincs then, and am wondering when I will likely have to do it again--annually? semi-annually? I know that this may vary depending on conditions, but is there a general rule of thumb?

Frank,
There are many variables that affect anode life and performance, so it's hard to generalize. However, I tell my clients that everything being as it should, you should get 6-9 months from a compliment of zincs. Dramatically more or less than that, and it's time to start looking for a reason.

I would never recommend going more than 6 months without at least putting a set of eyeballs on the zincs to see how they're doing.

FrankLanger 07-30-2006 03:12 PM

Thanks, Fastbottoms--very helpful! Having just bought our Ericson 30+ this spring, we replaced the existing anodes on the prop shaft (I think there were two there) and have also replaced the "pencil zinc" in the Universal diesel engine. I haven't come across any anywhere else--are there typically any others that I might have overlooked?
Thanks,
Frank.

Fstbttms 07-30-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankLanger
Thanks, Fastbottoms--very helpful! Having just bought our Ericson 30+ this spring, we replaced the existing anodes on the prop shaft (I think there were two there) and have also replaced the "pencil zinc" in the Universal diesel engine. I haven't come across any anywhere else--are there typically any others that I might have overlooked?

The only other likely place might be the strut, but presumably you would have known whether there was one there or not.