Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-27-2006

serendib is on a distinguished road
Anodes & Corrosion

I am doing some reseach on anodes and would be interested to hear stories (good or bad) on experiences with anodes, whether hull mounted, shaft anodes or prop anodes. Salt or Fresh water use

Many thanks

Malcolm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
What are you really asking about here? Sacrificial anodes are a requirement on props and/or shafts to prevent/reduce corrosion of the metal. There are also anodes that screw into marine engines to prevent/reduce corrosion. Are you looking for information on brands of anodes, types, or sizes of anodes and how they perform?
Old 07-28-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Yes, I agree, a strange question. Almost as if he were asking if anodes were a good idea or not.

Serendib, try to ask a more specific question and you will find a great wealth of knowledge here. Not to toot my own horn, but I install zincs for a living and see them doing their jobs in real-world (underwater) applications every day.
Old 07-28-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Fastbottoms....

Fastbottoms,
With your experience installing zincs on boats, can you tell me if there is a general lifespan for zincs on prop shafts and pencil zincs in diesel motors? I moor the boat in the Pacific Ocean on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I just bought this boat in Spring, replaced the zincs then, and am wondering when I will likely have to do it again--annually? semi-annually? I know that this may vary depending on conditions, but is there a general rule of thumb?
thanks,
Frank.
Old 07-30-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLanger
Fastbottoms,
With your experience installing zincs on boats, can you tell me if there is a general lifespan for zincs on prop shafts and pencil zincs in diesel motors? I moor the boat in the Pacific Ocean on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I just bought this boat in Spring, replaced the zincs then, and am wondering when I will likely have to do it again--annually? semi-annually? I know that this may vary depending on conditions, but is there a general rule of thumb?
Frank,
There are many variables that affect anode life and performance, so it's hard to generalize. However, I tell my clients that everything being as it should, you should get 6-9 months from a compliment of zincs. Dramatically more or less than that, and it's time to start looking for a reason.

I would never recommend going more than 6 months without at least putting a set of eyeballs on the zincs to see how they're doing.
Old 07-30-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Fastbottoms--very helpful! Having just bought our Ericson 30+ this spring, we replaced the existing anodes on the prop shaft (I think there were two there) and have also replaced the "pencil zinc" in the Universal diesel engine. I haven't come across any anywhere else--are there typically any others that I might have overlooked?
Thanks,
Frank.
Old 07-30-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLanger
Thanks, Fastbottoms--very helpful! Having just bought our Ericson 30+ this spring, we replaced the existing anodes on the prop shaft (I think there were two there) and have also replaced the "pencil zinc" in the Universal diesel engine. I haven't come across any anywhere else--are there typically any others that I might have overlooked?
The only other likely place might be the strut, but presumably you would have known whether there was one there or not.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.