SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Holding tank size

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mary51 
#1 ·
What would be a good size for the holding tank on a 32' sailboat used by a family of four for weekends and occasionly longer (vacations etc) entire area is a NDZ with plenty of marinas with pump outs (Puget Sound). I prefer to anchor out so I don't want to run into a marina evreyday for pump out.

#2 ·
How much room do you have to put it in? 20 gal is pretty typical for that size boat. And don't forget you have to have room for the inlet and outlet hoses and a vent. Plus install a deck fitting.

#3 ·
I have quite a lot of room. The whole v-berth area is empty. The inlet and overboard discharge through-hulls are in place behind the head area. It looks like there was a head there at one time but it was only plumbed for overboard discharge. The boat is a full keel Mariner 32 so spce it not that big a problem.

#5 ·
Steve, I would go for the largest size you can in the belief that pumpout stations tend to be closed, broken down, or simply inconvenient when you need them. (And if that's not the case in Puget, more power to you.) And probably a Lavac toilet as well, because from what I've heard they use the least water with each cycle, besides being extremely dependable. Good ventilation is also key to eliminating holding tank odor, as well as real sanitation hose--no shortcuts.

#6 ·
A week with four aboard, no problem?

I have a 20 gallon holding tank, newly installed to replace an "integral" holding tank.

After 4 1/2 days with 2 aboard, the tank was 85% full.

Anything special you do Irwin32 to minimize holding tank fill up?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We are heading out again for 10 days shortly, and don't want to head out 3 miles and pump over OR head in 20 miles to a pump out station. . .

Mary51

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.