Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2006

dsbentley is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
New davit with wind and solar charging

Here is the result of the new davit I had built. I went with two Air-X wind generators (one 12V and one 24V) and one 130 amp solar panel. There are two 6000 lb rule winches installed to lift the 14' hardbottom dingy that has a 50 HP 2 stroke Mercury outboard. The winches easily lift the dingy with the the driver and passengers to the deck level. I had two teak platforms mounted so kids (and kids at heart) can jump off the davit which sits 12' off the water from the platforms. While the davit looks big, I am very happy with the way it turned out and look forward to using all the features in the Caribbean where the boat will eventually live. I will let you all know how much power I end up making with the wind and solar as well as how much noise the Air-X makes. Thanks for all the comments and info supplied that helped in making the decisions on which components to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Davitsm.JPG (82.8 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2006

Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
Sorry, I didn't mean to post two pictures, just learning how to insert pictures.
Old 07-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious as to what size boat this is on??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2006

The boat is 57' with an 8' bow sprit. Now I am sure they will add 4' for the davit and dingy off the back so I guess I have a 69' boat now lol. She draws 7' and in 15' wide with a 70' mast.
Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... your boat is over twice the length of mine, with the bowsprit and davits, and almost as wide...but mine is a multihull...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-02-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Took my boat out for a shakedown today. Air-X was barely noticable, and was easily forgotten. About 10 knots of wind and it kept my one group 24 running fridge, depth, a/p, and stereo well enough to cycle off. They seem to live up to the hype.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

I think I'd rather go with the DuoGen instead. Gives the option of being used as a water generator, as well as an air generator. But not really all that needed on my boat, as I have two 130W solar panels that handle all of what i need and then some, at least on sunny days.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-02-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'll be adding solar panels down the road. Wanted something that would work day or night first, as I'll be living on the hook starting Nov.

dsbently.....I think you'll like your Air-X.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

PBzeer-

If you have any questions about the solar panels, let me know.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-02-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

Only real question is were to put 'em. Have a pretty narrow and busy transom, so I'll probably have to redo the whole bimini and everything to fashion a good mount. Thanks for the offer though, never afraid to ask when I don't know .

JCP

- Website & Blog