Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2015

captain jack is on a distinguished road
need a good opinion

hi folks. most of you may know i am refitting a 1971 cal 27. i recently found a guy parting out a ruined sailboat. he has a jib furler that he is willing to sell for a good price. unless i found another that cheaply, i won't be able to afford one for some time. they are pretty salty. the only trouble is, the boat has a jib stay that is 6' shorter (that's 6 feet not 6 inches) than mine. the brand isn't marked on the furler, at least that i know of. i have asked the guy to send me good pics and to see if he can find any markings, what-so-ever, on it. i will post those pics, here, and report of any markings when he gets back with me.

so, my question is, how hard will it be to find another extrusion to add? i'm sure that depends on the manufacturer, to a large extent. so, it raises other questions. if get pics to post, here, is it possible to figure out the manufacturer? also, is it possible to get extrusions made?

it's a great opportunity but, if it's too short to be usable, it would be throwing money away.

any input would be much appreciated. thanks.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 02-17-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: need a good opinion

Jack, look into the Alado system - great system, inexpensive, easy to install.

Gary
Old 02-17-2015
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Extrusions, due to the nature of manufacture, would be impossible to get custom made one off. It may be possible to adapt another extrusion one way or the other, but unless the price makes that path worth it it is a waste of time. Best bet is to find the maker of the furler and contact the manufacturer for spares price and availability.
Old 02-17-2015
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If it's a common furler there may be many short sections of extrusion floating around a rigger's shop, if he's not a 'cleanout freak'.. but even so it's a bit of a long shot. I know that our rigger kept our extra section on hand when he was done.

That said, a furler that's 6 inches short might be fine for you, it just means the sails you bend on will need to be shorter too. Might not be that big a deal if the price is right.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2015

manatee is on a distinguished road

I read the OP as "...6 feet shorter..."
If 6 inches, shorter sail could be the ticket.
If 6 feet,.......hmmmm.....convert mast-head rig to fractional?
=====================
"The skipper should be the calmest person on board. It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

=====================
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
captain jack (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Oops.. right you are.. my bad. That's different, you will need to track down some extra sections (2 most likely...)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If it's a common furler there may be many short sections of extrusion floating around a rigger's shop, if he's not a 'cleanout freak'.. but even so it's a bit of a long shot. I know that our rigger kept our extra section on hand when he was done.

That said, a furler that's 6 inches short might be fine for you, it just means the sails you bend on will need to be shorter too. Might not be that big a deal if the price is right.
not 6 inches. that would have looked like 6". it's 6 feet. i made the note in the original post to make sure my meaning is clear.

i have to avoid using the hatch mark notation. it creates a lot of misunderstandings on-line. there are a lot of threads talking about living aboard 30" or 40" boats that i have found amusing. if it was only 6" i really wouldn't sweat it.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 02-17-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
If 6 inches, shorter sail could be the ticket.
If 6 feet,.......hmmmm.....convert mast-head rig to fractional?
wish it was easy to make that conversion. my holiday20 is fractional and dropping the jib was a quick, easy first reef. it sailed perfectly well on main, alone. a big main and smaller jib is more efficient than a jib driven rig. but, that would mean moving the mast forward.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Oops.. right you are.. my bad. That's different, you will need to track down some extra sections (2 most likely...)
yeah. that's what worries me. he is asking $250 for it. but, if i can't find the sections...

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-17-2015
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Popular furler brands are:
- cdi
- alado
- pro-furl
- harken
- schaeffer
- furlex

to name a few. Quite a few of them are still in business. I can't promise you that they will still carry extrusions for that particular furler, but it is fairly likely.
$250 is a pretty good price as long as the bearings in the lower & upper unit are in good shape & you can get another extrusion(s) to make up your 6' difference.

I will note that furlers, in general, are not a maintenance free or "set it & forget it" proposition. They need to be installed correctly from the get go or you will have problems with them - the dreaded halyard wrap can ruin your day, the line can overrun and become stuck in the spool... Many also need periodic lubricating and/or cleaning.

I still like the convenience of the furlers I have owned. Nothing wrong with hank-on jibs either.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.