Score! - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barquito

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter
Seņor Member

Score!

So, here I am recuperating in Florida & slowly getting back on my feet (literally) after a really bad day in the boat yard back in October.

Anyway, I find myself popping into Sailors Exchange in St Augustine pretty frequently -- usually looking for small bits and pieces to scrimp quarters and dimes here and there. I bought a pretty beat up shell of a Racor 500 filter that was missing just about everything, but for $15 I managed to salvage the bowl, a drain petcock and (what I was mainly in need of) the ball for the check valve. Had I bought those items separately from a chandlery I would have easily paid at least $50.

But that wasn't noteworthy...

Today, I splurged! I jumped on a rather dirty but fully functional Wilcox Crittenden Imperial head, for less than a seal kit is going to run me. I'm tearing her down, and so far everything looks A-OK. I may not even need to buy a seal kit.

Don't get me wrong -- our PHII was working fine, and is completely acceptable. But having the chance to buy the Rolls-Royce of heads for the cost of a Yugo it was a deal too good to pass up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2015
Barquito

Re: Score!

I love good deals. But, I'll admit that I kept getting stuck on the word, 'splurged'. Just sounds like something that would be associated with a head.
SHNOOL likes this.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2015
Superior Sailor

Well if a guy is going to "Splurg"...

Might as well "splurg" in style...

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
post #4 of 5 Old 02-19-2015
Schooner Captain

I am in there at least 1 time a week, I didn't see some super head there?
I would have kept the PHII and swapped in the fresh water flush kit they just released.
In fact I am doing that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2015

The Wilcox Crittenden is the "Toto" of MSDs. MrsB has been lobbying for years for us to get one.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.