Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6 Days Ago

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Compass and Electronics

Hi All,

I am installing my new plotter next month. Here's the deal. My compass is installed, compass swing every year, no problems with the compass. When I set the plotter where I'd like it to be (permenantly) I get some compass movement (2-4 degrees). My question is can I mount the plotter and then re-swing the compass for acuracy, knowing that I just threw it out of whack with the plotter placement? I don't see why I couldn't... might have to use a correction card more than I'd like.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 6 Days Ago

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Compass and Electronics

Whats causing the swing? It is probably the DC input. Maybe use twisted dc input wires.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 6 Days Ago

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

I am installing my new plotter next month. Here's the deal. My compass is installed, compass swing every year, no problems with the compass. When I set the plotter where I'd like it to be (permenantly) I get some compass movement (2-4 degrees). My question is can I mount the plotter and then re-swing the compass for acuracy, knowing that I just threw it out of whack with the plotter placement? I don't see why I couldn't... might have to use a correction card more than I'd like.

Dave
What you are refering to is compass deviation. Sure, re swing it and if you want to do it right is get a deviation card to mount close to your compass (because you will never get all the deviation out). The card will have every 30 degrees the course you want to the course you steer. For instance 030 degrees steer 032. In addition when you are swinging turn on all the electronics you normally have in operation such as radar, depth sounder and the like. They all can make a difference. Just for grins turn on the auxiliary, the alternator if it is not filtered/shielded may also show some deviation. Also the big belt buckles and swords will cause deviation....
Dave_E likes this.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

s/v Temptation
Islander 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 6 Days Ago at 04:12 AM.
Old 6 Days Ago

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Deviation is the result of electricity passing through the wires. Even if you swing the compass the error will deviate according to device being running or turned off. To have a healthy angle after swinging the compass the plotter should always be running.
Dave_E likes this.
Old 6 Days Ago
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

A lot of interference from chart plotters is caused by the magnetic door for the sd card. Usually this is located on one end of the plotter. If you install the plotter keeping the door 11" away from the compass you should have less deviation.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 Days Ago
I've mislaid my Kraken!

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

RTFM.

Does the manufacturer say anything like "DO NOT INSTALL WITHIN 36" OF ANY COMPASS" or something like that?

Some electronics emit magnetic fields, and they're not always consistent.
Old 6 Days Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Though we have a compass under our plotter at the helm, we rarely use it when the plotter is working; the plotter should give you a pretty accurate course, if you need one. We find ourselves either sailing on landmarks or towards a way point, using the chartplotter.
If the chartplotter failed and you needed the compass, perhaps it would be best to just remove the chartplotter when you need the compass, and not adjust it for the plotter, especially if the deviation changed depending if the plotter was on or off.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Deviation is the result of electricity passing through the wires. Even if you swing the compass the error will deviate according to device being running or turned off. To have a healthy angle after swinging the compass the plotter should always be running.
Any ferrous metal close to a compass can cause some deviation. You don't have to have electricity.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

s/v Temptation
Islander 44

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 6 Days Ago at 01:42 AM.
Old 6 Days Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Whats causing the swing? It is probably the DC input. Maybe use twisted dc input wires.
I think Froggy gets the teapot or whatever the prize is. That a simple no cost trick to try that may do the, ummmm, well, trick.

If that doesnt work then I agree with CaptA: who the hell uses a compass??

Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

If that doesnt work then I agree with CaptA: who the hell uses a compass??
How about when the chart gives bearings from two or more known points to fix a hazard in the water? You had best have an accurate or swung compass to fix that hazard? That's a problem when people put too much faith in the electronic God. We have them in aviation too.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

s/v Temptation
Islander 44

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.