SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Barient/Barlow winches

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  jongleur 
#1 ·
I have a Westerly Oceanlord that has 2 Barlow 32 ST Genoa sheet winches and 4 Barient 21 ST winches. All are 2 speed. I am looking for bearings for both sizes and a top gripper for the Barient 21 as it has a piece missing. Also some spare pall springs. Has anyone any contacts?
Willie.

#6 ·
+1 on ARCO/Australian winch company. Bruno was very helpful. Sent mine back to get converted to self tailing and rechromed, came back like new for half the price of new Lewmars, and no screwing around with remountings.

#12 ·
Arco-Hutton in Austrailia has stuff for Barients. Also, I just replaced a pawl spring in a Barient 10 with one that came in a Harken package containing pawls & pawl springs. Bought at West Marine. Seems to work just fine. Also Lewmar packs pawl springs, also West Marine. Really, they all look the same.

#14 ·
Years ago I had out of production Merriman winches. The pawl pockets had failed. I bought a Lewmar pawl and spring kit, and had a machine shop bore new pawl pockets to match the Lewmar pawls. I had to bring the entire winch in to make sure the pockets were in the correct location but once we figured out that the number of teeth in the ratchet was divisible by 4 we put the be sockets 90 deg away from the old ones and life was good again.
Jeff

#15 ·
I have a couple of Barlow 23 winches. I cleaned
and re-lubed them. I could not get the center
part out of either. I pried and tugged and spun
them. One of them still works fine both directions.
The other one is very stiff in the high speed
direction but works fine in the low speed direction.

I soaked the parts in PB blaster (like, totally
covered in PB blaster). I soaked them in WD-40
(also totally immersed). It only slightly loosened
but is still very (very) stiff when in use.

Any ideas/help?

#16 ·
If they are the old style bearings, they are known for warping. You may have to force them off and get new. Send pictures to arco and get their advice. Mine came off eventually with a hammer and screwdriver and they make replacements that don't warp/bind easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.