Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CalebD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
clear for smooth bilge pump tubing?

I really need to replace it. it's pretty long in my boat and the convoluted tubing is all black with mold. I'' thinking 5/8" (will check the size) ID clear for the task?

I bilge water was a block of ice this year! somehow I did not get it pumped out enough when the cold weather hit. Need to replace the float switch too. ice broke a wire out of it.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 2 Weeks Ago

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: clear for smooth bilge pump tubing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I really need to replace it. it's pretty long in my boat and the convoluted tubing is all black with mold. I'' thinking 5/8" (will check the size) ID clear for the task?

I bilge water was a block of ice this year! somehow I did not get it pumped out enough when the cold weather hit. Need to replace the float switch too. ice broke a wire out of it.
a. Who cares that there is mold in the bilge? Just work on getting the bilge dry. Now, cracks or advanced age are good reasons.

b. The clear tubing is very prone to kinking and collapsing (several bad experiences, of course). It is a very poor and risky choice for bilge pump lines. Even if it doesn't kink while you are installing it, it will kink within a few weeks. This is a place you need reliability.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

oh that old kinky thing... guess I'll stay with a convoluted .. well the boat is up for sale. and everyone wants pretty LOL I'll clean up the the old i guess.

My boat is for sale.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

Kinking?
Have about 20 feet of it since 5 years and never had any kinking!
Was a necessity since boat in water during winter and makes it easier to find the frozen parts . I then warp the frozen section with a towel and let it soak with boiling water .
Electric tea kettle is an absolute necessity this time of year!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I think I know that ABYC does not recommend clear tubing for bilge water purposes. That said, I used some of the re-inforced clear tubing and have had no problems since (5+ years ago). Sure looks nice too PLUS it really is smooth unlike that white ribbed crap.
Benefits: cheap, easy to work with, easy to replace & install, mold/mildew loves dark spaces but clear tubing lets in some light. Ok, so maybe it ends up on a quicker replacement schedule, but it is cheaper, easier ... etc.

Most bilge pump gph ratings are well overstated for your average sailboat installation (head + distance + turns). Why add ribbed tubing into the mix to further reduce their effectiveness?

(Ducks and hides waiting for the MaineSail ABYC rant)
;-)
deniseO30 likes this.

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:55 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
1934 Chickering

I was thinking clear reinenforced to!

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.