Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-15-2015

catalina'80 is on a distinguished road
1980 c27 mast issue.....

Ok guys, im a newbie but i bought a 1980 c27... today is raining, and ive been reading horror stories about mast rot and i have a leak coming through my mast just near the compression post through the wires. This boat is leaking in other places as well, it alsp has the symptom of green algae growing on deck at base of mast. I just redid the bulkheads the two shrouds attach to due to serious rot.... any diagnostic tests short of taking the mast out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2015
I break <-> I fix

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: 1980 c27 mast issue.....

If you are talking about a Catalina 27, it's a deck stepped mast (I believe)... downing the mast and inspecting the mast step (where the real problem is) is likely your only choice. I know on my Capri 25, the mast step was bolted through the roof, into a metal plate glassed into the fiberglass. 12x12" or something. This is definitely the case on my S2.

I know 2 members of our club (with Cat 27s) had changed the flanged mast step out for a hinged mast step (to make it easier to self raise the mast), as our lake doesn't have any marinas with a mast crane. They stepped their mast themselves. Also the C27 is different in which the preferred mast raising is from a "tilted forward" position, so one would drop forward...

This isn't the end of the world, but it IS a decent amount of work. If you can do the work from below, it'll prevent the deck from losing the look. This work has been done on my S2 7.9 because it had a similar problem. They did the work from above, and painted a large section under the base... it still looks OK. My vote is if you don't want perfect LOOK (but it could be even if you painted the whole roof), work from above it'll be easier.

I hope others chime in, because I am not sure how much wood is in the sandwich on a C27. If you had that much bulkhead rot I'm not sure how bad the rot will be by the chainplates.

If you are OK with doing a decent amount of work, most of this is pretty straightforward, just keep in mind the mast step needs to be "exactly" the correct height when done... but if you keep the sandwich the same build height, that should be doable without a degree in advanced math (most use a 2x4 on edge and check for level over 18 inches or so both directions).

While it's raining I'd be noting each location of leaks.. Most likely locations are, chainplates, mast step, stanchions, and genoa tracks. Other places that could leak, winches and practically any other load based bolt through on the boat, rope clutches, cleats, etc.

Good luck and I hope you have some time to do a little elbow grease.

I know of probably 5 boats in our club (all different makes) where the owners have had to do this work. I still consider their boats "in great shape" and "well maintained."
Old 03-16-2015

Thank you very much, that is very helpful and i appreciate the time. I read about a wax ring from a toilet seal being the best cure. Where could i get such mast attachment? What is it called? Seems like a good idea (if within my budget) while i have the mast down
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
If you are talking about a Catalina 27, it's a deck stepped mast (I believe)... downing the mast and inspecting the mast step (where the real problem is) is likely your only choice. I know on my Capri 25, the mast step was bolted through the roof, into a metal plate glassed into the fiberglass. 12x12" or something. This is definitely the case on my S2.

I know 2 members of our club (with Cat 27s) had changed the flanged mast step out for a hinged mast step (to make it easier to self raise the mast), as our lake doesn't have any marinas with a mast crane. They stepped their mast themselves. Also the C27 is different in which the preferred mast raising is from a "tilted forward" position, so one would drop forward...

This isn't the end of the world, but it IS a decent amount of work. If you can do the work from below, it'll prevent the deck from losing the look. This work has been done on my S2 7.9 because it had a similar problem. They did the work from above, and painted a large section under the base... it still looks OK. My vote is if you don't want perfect LOOK (but it could be even if you painted the whole roof), work from above it'll be easier.

I hope others chime in, because I am not sure how much wood is in the sandwich on a C27. If you had that much bulkhead rot I'm not sure how bad the rot will be by the chainplates.

If you are OK with doing a decent amount of work, most of this is pretty straightforward, just keep in mind the mast step needs to be "exactly" the correct height when done... but if you keep the sandwich the same build height, that should be doable without a degree in advanced math (most use a 2x4 on edge and check for level over 18 inches or so both directions).

While it's raining I'd be noting each location of leaks.. Most likely locations are, chainplates, mast step, stanchions, and genoa tracks. Other places that could leak, winches and practically any other load based bolt through on the boat, rope clutches, cleats, etc.

Good luck and I hope you have some time to do a little elbow grease.

I know of probably 5 boats in our club (all different makes) where the owners have had to do this work. I still consider their boats "in great shape" and "well maintained."
Ok well i replaced a bunch of caulking on the top of the cabin and now the leak has slowed almost completely. Now its a drip a minute in moderate rain. Hopefully wont have to do the work you've graciously outlined, but when i get some money together it will be my next chore. Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.