Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-09-2001

gcall is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 - minor cracks in keel??

Hello All! I''m looking to purchase a 30'' Catalina (1977) and had a few questions. First of all, I realize older Catalina''s are prone to blisters...so I wasn''t too concerned about the few "small" blisters it has.

I was told by my diver that the keel (standard keel) has a few dings in it, and a few small cracks in the fiberglass surrounding the keel. He also said that the rudder has some play in it. There are 4-5 small blisters, also.

My questions:

1) Is the keel damage something I should be concerned about? What kind of repair costs would I be looking at?

2) What would cause the rudder to have a little play in it? Again, what repair cost am I looking at?

I''m buying the boat pretty cheap, so I don''t mind spending a little money to get it up to snuff. On Monday, a Surveyor will survey the boat and do a sea trial with me. I just wanted some others opinions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road

Sight unseen, the questions you are asking are really the ones you need to ask the surveyor.

The small cracks in the keel, which may or may not be so small if a diver can see them in the generally turbid and dark water of a marina ....may be more serious than meets the eye. You would definitely want to have the keel and its mounts inspected closely. If every thing is in pretty good shape, then your repair costs shouldn''t be all that much especially if you do the work yourself. Otherwise it will be based on quotation. On the other hand...they may just be stress cracks that need repair.

I might suggest that even if the surveyor says the keel situation is ok....get with the seller of the boat and tell them you want to escrow at least $1500.00 pending an assessment of the keel out of the water by mechanics who would do any repairs on it.
That way, "the sweetness of the low price will not turn into the bitter taste of hidden repair costs after the sale is complete", and you have no available recourse after the fact.
Old 08-10-2001

gcall is on a distinguished road

Rob,
Thanks for the advice. I''ll see what the surveyor thinks...

Gary