Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2015
Whitewater to Seawater

Zoya is on a distinguished road
Anti-fouling paint under the keel

I know it's a bit of a tricky thing to do but I would assume dealer commissioning new boats do their best to paint the underside of the keel. Well, I hauled out today for a quick pressure wash to get her ready for spring and below is what I saw. Should I bitch about it or is that business as usual?

Last edited by Zoya; 03-30-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Anti-fouling paint under the keel

Given that you can see patches of grey primer alongside the bare keel itself - I'd say that's just sloppy.

My boat goes back in tomorrow and for sure there'll be a guy standing right next to it armed with a tin of antifoul and a paintbrush ready to get to work the moment she's lifted in the slings.. or the yard will know all about it.

She looks like a beauty - good luck with her.
Old 03-30-2015
Whitewater to Seawater

Thanks. I like to be reasonable but don't like to get cheated either...
Old 03-30-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Thanks. I like to be reasonable but don't like to get cheated either...
If you point it out to them nicely, they'll likely just fix it on the spot at no cost to you..

It's really not a big deal - but, yes, it needs to be done and it's reasonable to ask them to do it.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-30-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2015

aloof is on a distinguished road

Yards like to think one can antifoul the bottom of the keel just minutes before splashing. But it really does not work. The paint often blisters of simply falls off. If boatyards knew anything about boats...or cared about and quality service whatsoever...they would not do that.

The cheapskate workaround is to try to clean and sand the keel bottom just before shoring, then try to get an overnight or morning in the slings to dry the paint just before splashing. The proper way is to bargain for multiple lifts to move the shoring. And those lifts must be after the antifoul had cured a day or two. Expensive. That is of course what I do.

Last edited by aloof; 03-30-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Scotty C-M is on a distinguished road

Most yards (at least in my area) give you hang time of an hour or two to coat the bottom of the keel. I know for a fact that it works on Trinidad and Micron 66. boats that I have had with those bottoms look fine when I haul them a couple of years later.

I would be nice, but definitely ask about the lack of paint on the bottom. Not acceptable.
Old 03-30-2015
Whitewater to Seawater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
If you point it out to them nicely, they'll likely just fix it on the spot at no cost to you..

It's really not a big deal - but, yes, it needs to be done and it's reasonable to ask them to do it.
Dealer is 200 miles away so, not possibly to have them fix it but thanks all for your feedback, I feel vindicated....
Old 03-30-2015
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

My river has 7' tidal swing, and depth in the lift area varies from 6' to -1' (a foot of mud). So my DIY boat club has a few hours to splash in daylight for a week, and the next week they don't do any splashes. So on the days that they can splash, they try to do ~4 boats in about 2 hours. There is no willingness to allow any boat to hang in the lifts for a few hours, or everyone would demand the same privilege. So our boats never get fully coated under the keel. I do try to paint the bottom of the wings, since they extend out over the edge of the wood bock. But the center of the wing, where the block supports it, never gets paint.

Getting them to lift the boat in the evening (for painting the keel) and spash early the next morning isn't really viable, because they're too drunk in the evening, and too hung over in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-31-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2015
Once known as Hartley18

FWIW, most ablative antifouls do not need to dry before splashing and there is certainly NO issues with putting them on as the boat heads for the water.. after all, general practice for decades was (and still is in many places) to antifoul between tides whilst lashed to careening piles, so the paint was and still is designed to handle that. Indeed some (I can't remember which ones) shouldn't be left too long before getting wet or they won't work properly at all! As in all things paint - read the tin.

The biggest issue after antifouling is always the bit under the straps... but if the yard uses cradles or blocks to sit the boat on, the lifting straps will naturally be positioned on fresh dry paint, so it's simply a matter of making sure someone is nearby with a tin of antifoul and a brush to do the bits under the keel after the boat is lifted and before it hits the water. So long as the straps don't damage the antifoul (and they usually don't), you're all good.

Anti-fouling paint under the keel-imag0349.jpg

Last edited by Classic30; 03-31-2015 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Updated pic
Old 03-31-2015

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Good yards put a large piece of paper between the hull and straps to avoid any damage to fresh anti foul and your freshly waxed hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.