Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2015

jdy2kgt is on a distinguished road
Cleaning mold on aft cabin walls

Hello everyone, I need some advice on what to use for this. We had a leak from arch and have sealed the leak but the mold is still on the walls as you can see in the pictures. Any advice on what we should use on this? I looked at the StarBrite Mildew Remover as it gets great reviews, but the directions say to hose down the affected area after using it. Obviously I don't want to take a hose to the aft cabin and spray down the walls. Any advice? Thank you everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning mold on aft cabin walls-img_9515.jpg   Cleaning mold on aft cabin walls-img_9514.jpg   Cleaning mold on aft cabin walls-20141019_164857.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2015

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning mold on aft cabin walls

Use the Star Bright , or mix some bleach with water and spray it down . Then just wipe it down with a damp cloth , and then buff to a high luster .
Old 04-01-2015
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Or, rip out the 'carpet' and replace it with a proper ceiling that will look better and clean up easier

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-01-2015
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

From what I understand, bleach makes mold release it's spores. Instead, there's an enzyme-based cleaner that is supposed to literally eat mold. Can't remember the name though.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-02-2015
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Amazon's mold cleaner. The inflatable cleaner is also amazing stuff.

However, if you are cleaning a carpeted wall you might want to consider searching for a cleaner made for water damage...something outside the typical chandlery products.

Bleach will kill the live mold but may leave a nice layer of dead, colorless, organic material for the new mold to grow on. Bleach is not effective for very long...think pools not properly maintained and how fast they start to turn green.

There are products and experts that go well beyond most 'urban legends' about how to kill mold. Most of them will tell you that chlorine bleach is not the answer.
Old 04-02-2015

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Also consider where the mold may be growing that you can't see (and it is, if you already have visible mold). It will crawl back out immediately.

I've become a fan of the tea tree oil treatments, but I can't say I know enough to definitely say why it works. Just experience with Kanberra.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-02-2015

Northeric is on a distinguished road

Vinegar is a good surface cleaner but it maybe beyond that.
Old 04-02-2015

rjppunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Or, rip out the 'carpet' and replace it with a proper ceiling that will look better and clean up easier
I'm currently doing that and would not recommend it if your factory overhead is in good condition. It's a big job. If you have access to AC power you might try renting a carpet cleaning with an upholstery hose attachment. Personally I would go with an eco friendly cleaner in there in case you don't pull it all out, but that's more of a personal choice. After that air dry / leave a heater on to dry out the residual moisture left behind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My boat build
Old 04-02-2015
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjppunk View Post
I'm currently doing that and would not recommend it if your factory overhead is in good condition. It's a big job. If you have access to AC power you might try renting a carpet cleaning with an upholstery hose attachment. Personally I would go with an eco friendly cleaner in there in case you don't pull it all out, but that's more of a personal choice. After that air dry / leave a heater on to dry out the residual moisture left behind.
But in this case the issue is primarily on the ceilings, (cover on the inside hull surface) not the overhead. Agree the overhead is tough, gravity is your enemy and working over your head tiring and difficult.

But stripping glued-on carpet off the hull, adding some battens or standoffs, and 'planking' the ceiling a la the more expensive interior finishes is not such a bad job, and the end result is quite satisfying. You can also add insulation as you go, improving comfort and reducing condensation to boot.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-02-2015

jwing is on a distinguished road

I have used Moldstat and Concrobium on a house I am renovating. They both work. They both instruct to rinse off after the treatment and they both warn that treatment to porous surfaces may not work. However, I have used them on porous surfaces and there have been places I could not rinse off. They still did the job as intended. I have used Concrobium on my boat's liner fabric; it worked well there, too.

I would not consider using bleach for the reasons already discussed, plus bleach is damaging to many substances, especially skin, eyes, sinuses, and lungs.

"Practical Sailor" did some moldicide testing and recommends a homemade solution. I don't remember what issue, but you can search their website to get to the article, if you are a subscriber.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.