Deck Scupper: Tiny Leak - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2015 Thread Starter

Deck Scupper: Tiny Leak

Good Day.

One of my deck scuppers along the rail is designed as a through-deck with a very short hose on the underside taking a 90 turn to a through- hull where the water exits the side hull just under the rail. The through deck fitting is 47 years old and the source of just the slightest leak; the inside cabinet under the fitting, where the hose makes its turn, stores notepads and dish towels that get slightly damp after a rainstorm. I am talking drops, not cups of leakage.

Drilling out and reglassing a new fitting is plan b, but some sort of exterior penetrating sealant would be my first try. Can anyone recommend a product with penetrating properties that might be able to seep into the breach to stop this tiny leak?

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-24-2015

Re: Deck Scupper: Tiny Leak

I got laughed at by some here last year when I fixed a similar problem with my cockpit drain but my fix worked.
The drain is a glassed in tube about 18" long, dating from 1981. I had very limited access to it from inside the boat but it was leaking. Shining a light down I could see many hairline cracks.
While still on the hard I sprayed an entire can of rubberized spray that is meant to repair eavestroughing leaks. Allowing about 5 hours between coats as per the instructions one can did at least 5 coats. I also reached inside as much as I could and blindly sprayed the tube where it passed through under the cockpit and the hull liner. It stopped most of the the leaking.
I have a 2nd can ($10) that I am adding more to the repair this year just because it is only $10. The end results stays flexible.
If you sprayed enough of it the misting may reach the leaking spots around the curves inside the hose and if you can see the hose inside the cabinet then spray some there. It is flexible but not tacky when it dries. The "asphalty" smell goes away in a day or two.

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade

Last edited by i_amcdn; 04-24-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-24-2015
I break <-> I fix

Here's my take on these kinds of problems... They only get worse until you fix them correctly. I had leaky scuppers on my Capri 25... prior owner said "The boat always seems to get a tiny amount of water in the bilge, I rebedded everything, but can't find the leak, must be the lazarette gaskets!"

Yep 1 year later, still leaking like heck, I finally had had enough... Now I could see a water trail from inside the lazarette, to the bilge. no question it was from the scuppers. In the Capri 25, the scuppers are horizontal, directly through to the stern. There is about 3-4 inches of dead-space between the Glass of the transom and the glass of the cockpit... so there is a "tube" of sorts between. This I have since learned was run through what looks like a 2x4 (you know glassed in and resined up)...

Well, the "tube" was made of brass (which is good) but it was a 1982 boat, and eventually water ate through the brass, and started to rot the 2x4s. I know this because the tubes looked like this when I tried to take them out...

My solution was to break all the brass tube out, overdrill the hole to remove some of the soft wood, and epoxy the whole thing back to make it all watertight again. Water intrusion was stopped after that.

You might be able to make the leak slow some, you might be able to "patch" the cracking tube... but honestly, take a few minutes, make an access port, and replace the hose correctly and you'll be happy you did. Here's why I say this... Lets say the tube is on it's last legs... and you take a deluge rainfall, or worse a dump over the rail of wave... the extra weight/pressure overwhelms the tube now that ALL comes crashing in! Best case it's a mess worst case... well, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Leaks in scuppers are nothing to trifle with. Just saying. I am not trying to bring harbinger of doom or anything, I just think its a larger problem, if it is as you say.

"Rum Line" an S2 7.9 - cheap, fast, trailerable, and paid for.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-24-2015
Master Mariner

You might want to try Git Rot. It is a penetrating epoxy that is meant to run to reach hard to reach areas. Perhaps mix it up a bit thicker than normal?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2015

This is the worst suggestion ever. I have no idea what I'm talking about, and this will probably not work.

As a band-aid, you might be able to put a string through the hose, tie a cotton ball or rag to one end, soak the ball/rag in plasti-dip, then pull it through the hose. If you do it enough, it might coat the inside of the hose.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz View Post
This is the worst suggestion ever. I have no idea what I'm talking about, and this will probably not work.

As a band-aid, you might be able to put a string through the hose, tie a cotton ball or rag to one end, soak the ball/rag in plasti-dip, then pull it through the hose. If you do it enough, it might coat the inside of the hose.
I actually tried to do this but with some West Systems epoxy. I made a mess and it ended up being just a thin coat. I then thought of the eavestrough repair stuff as I was fixing my eaves.

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.