Yanmar 4JHE Problems - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter

Yanmar 4JHE Problems

Last week I changed both my fuel filters, the Racor and the spin on Yanmar one. Cranked up after little bleeding and seemed fine. So come the weekend we were going to go off and cranked it and let it run awhile, turned it off and then did not want to fire. So figured still a little air in it and went and bled and cranked up easy enough. Went to get some fuel at the dock next door and it was idling fine. We back out into the river and then when started going forward noticed it would not throttle up. Seemed to be choking down. Figured still had some air. Could put in neutral and it would rev up. So did that a few times and put back in gear. Went a bit and figured it would clear itself out. It would only get up to around 1700-1800 RPM. At this stage thought maybe something was wrapped around the prop and binding it so went swimming to see. Nothing on prop, but it was fouled somewhat with barnacles. Cleaned that while there.

When tried to crank this time there was some racket in the back of the engine with what sounded like metal hitting metal type noises, so I shut it down. Looked down at the drive train and saw nothing apparent. Shifted the trans up and down a few time and didn't seem bound. Tried again and still doing it so shut it down and called Boat US to tow us in. First time in all these years ever used the tow policy which was good to have.

Someone at the marina who used to work on engines said he had seen bolts on the flywheel on a Yanmar back out on one and get into the gear box cover before. Can put in neutral and spin the shaft and don't hear or feel anything, so flywheel thought may make some sense. One thing also noticed yesterday when looking at it was, the air cleaner had some oil like dripping coming from it and when I removed it had a handful of oily sludge in it. Not sure if that was caused when it was so loaded it was blowing fuel back. Was not doing that before because that area stays clean and could see it had dripped on the pan. Oil on the dip stick looked normal. Not sure what to think or where to even start. Gearbox is a Kazaki KBW20.

Prior to this always starts fine, no shifting issues. Ran good

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Another Day
Endeavour 38
Mobile, AL

Last edited by last mango; 04-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2015

Re: Yanmar 4JHE Problems

You changed your filters; so, the highest probability is that you 'pinched' a filter gasket when reinstalling and its now 'sucking air'.
Second possibility is that the filter housing/bowl became 'misaligned' during the closure ... use your eyeballs to insure that the 'lips' of the 'wobbly' parts are in correct alignment (the knife-edge of the metal components are smack dab in the middle of the gasket or O-ring before and during and after the 'tightening'). The 'wobbliness' is from normal 'tolerances' of machining and forming; a precision assembly would cost upwards of 10X as much.

When changing fuel filters, consider to ALWAYS change the gaskets and O-rings for new (because such gaskets are subject to softening and swelling when in long term contact with especially the newer blends of diesel fuel); and, always lubricate the new gaskets to help prevent 'pinching' of the gaskets, etc. --- just wipe on some diesel oil to lubricate. ....... and then use your eyeballs when assembling to make sure the 'edges' are in dead center of those gaskets/O-rings.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 04-27-2015 at 03:40 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

What Rich said makes sense. Also be sure that the filters are on tight enough.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2015

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; Have you cleaned the fuel lift pump fillters in the pump it has a fine mesh that gets gooed up hope this helps AS ALWAYS GO SAFE.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2015

If it's like mine there is no separate lift pump. If there is one its built into the injection pump.

No idea what to say about the metallic racket, that would bother me, a lot.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2015

Don't know about the clanking but if your spin on Yanmar filter is like mine, it's got a little water sensor/drain assembly that screws in to the bottom of the filter. That drain assembly requires an o-ring that's easily lost and/or thrown away when it adheres unnoticed to the bottom of the old filter. Without it, you'll get a periodic drip of diesel out the drain fitting when the engine is sitting and you'll pull a teeny tiny bit of air at higher throttle settings.

Beyond that, I'd second the advice to take a close look at your Racors to make sure the gaskets are in good shape, including the T handle o-ring if you've got a turbine-style housing.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

Have to check but do change the O rings with the filters and know the drain on the bottom of the Racor is good - changed it out prior with a cutoff off valve to make draining easy. Still wondering what would cause the diesel to blow back through air filter so heavy unless does that when the engine lugged down. Have it where I can get to the back to see where that sound is coming from. Now second guessing if it could be a valve stuck or one of the valve springs broke. Never been around one that had. I'm sure it won't be simple or cheap - it's a boat.
thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

Did you replace the filters with 10 micron or 2? Sometimes 2 micron filters will not allow enough flow.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter

The Racor was a 10 micron. The Yanmar spin on was their standard one so assuming a 10 - which may be a dangerous thing to do.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by last mango View Post
The Racor was a 10 micron. The Yanmar spin on was their standard one so assuming a 10 - which may be a dangerous thing to do.
No. 10micron primary and 10 micron secondary is what is normally done. If in doubt, check your manual.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.