Carabiners as jib hanks? (and other uses) - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question Carabiners as jib hanks? (and other uses)

New boat owner here (1969 Ericson 23). I'm going through all the goodies left on the boat from the previous owner, and among them I find four(!) headsails. All are hank-on type, and my headstay is non-furling. All the sails have Swedish snaps.

Unfortunately, all of the snaps also came with a thick coat of green corrosion. From experimenting, I've determined that soaking in a solution of vinegar and water will take off the corrosion. However, rather than unbend all the snaps, soak, and replace them all, I was thinking...

And I know this might be really dumb (I'm prepared for that), but I can't see why...

Why can't I use carabiners instead of Swedish snaps?
It seems like an obvious solution--lightning fast one-hand attachment to the headstay (instead of the two hands required for the Swedish snap), easy detachment, cheap, strong, versatile. The swedish snap honestly looks like a seriously outdated design, with the fact that it doesn't create a full loop for strength (like a carbiner does), that the spring inside can easily fail and then it doesn't close, and that to attach or detach requires you to bend the metal, weakening it.

My only hesitation is that I've never seen carabiners used as hanks. So either it's not done because it's not "how things are done", or there's actually a good reason for it. Are there downsides?

For that matter, looking around my boat, I can see all sorts of marine-type shackles where it seems a carabiner would perform much better (lifeline attachments, the ...thing.. that hangs my boom from the backstays, etc.)

Why do we see no carabiners in the boating world?

Thoughts?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Carabiners as jib hanks? (and other uses)

Just clean up the snaps , you don't have to take them off .That green, is "patina" and it is a badge of experience . Carbines are for mountain climbers . Welcome to SailNet !

Last edited by Markwesti; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:10 PM.
post #3 of Old 2 Weeks Ago
Oday30!

There is a good reason for plastic in this area.. it breaks.. rather then the sail ripping.. can save you much money!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #4 of Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzink View Post
Why do we see no carabiners in the boating world?

Thoughts?
Function. Carabiners have a habit of clipping on to anything they brush against, making them terrible for halyards and sheets. How would you like a halyard clipped to a shroud up high? It has happened.

Size. If you mean climbing biners, there is only one size. Often we want something smaller or stronger.

Corrosion. Wire gate biners do fine in most applications, but it they are wet constantly they will corrode and SS is better. Non-wire gate biners generally freeze-up very quickly--don't bother.

That said, there are limited but good applications. I use them to hang dingies, deflect mooring lines, rig MOB systems, secure fishing tackle, and park spare running rigging (faster than dealing with a snap shackle). If it is something you might otherwise use a SS marine carabiner for, a mountaineering carabiner is probably a better solution.
MedSailor likes this.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

post #5 of Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I guess all those points make sense. Probably the most convincing is the prospect of having a halyard clipped to a shroud at the top of the mast while underway. I suppose you could use a screw-gate version to prevent this, but then it does take away some of the speed and ease factor.

In terms of corrosion, I was actually referring to the SS versions, not the aluminum ones. Does that make a difference?

What are the plastic hanks that you speak of denise?
post #6 of Old 2 Weeks Ago

You can make soft shackles. Soft Shackle | How to tie the Soft Shackle | Splicing Knots
post #7 of Old 2 Weeks Ago
I don't discuss my member

The last edition of the volvo ocean race, they used carabiners for some of their sails. A bit overkill on a 23 footer.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"
post #8 of Old 2 Weeks Ago

The Norway type bronze piston hanks are best cleaned/maintained (removing the green) by soaking them in lemon juice / citric acid then spraying on clear lacquer. No need to remove them from the sails for cleaning/maintenance.

Soft shackles are 'wonderful'. Their downside is that they take toooooo long to remove when the headsail has to come off ..... RIGHT NOW as in an emergency.

:-)

Last edited by RichH; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:26 AM.
post #9 of Old 2 Weeks Ago
Barquito

A Wichard hank is basically a carabiner shape, but, much smaller.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #10 of Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
A Wichard hank is basically a carabiner shape, but, much smaller.

Interesting. Still requires semi-permanent attachment on the sail side, however. Also, why brass? Isn't stainless steel more corrosion-resistant?

I'm thinking something like this:
Spring Clip SS T316 - 3-3/16" Length : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

Maybe with these for the top 5 or so:
Oval Snap Hook w/ Screw Nut SS T316 - 3-3/16" Length : Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

What kind of load requirements are necessary for a hank on a boat this size (23')? The linked biners have WLL of 300-350 lbs

Tags
hank , jib , rigging , swedish snap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.