SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

LAPTOPS

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SHIMSHON 
#1 ·
Looking for recommendations on laptops and printers to be used onboard based upon personal experience. Marinized vs off the self. Also is anyone aware of a small pure sine wave inverter which can be plugged into a cigarette lighter 12v plug to be used to charge sensitive electronics? Thanks for any information.

#2 ·
I liveaboard in SW FL and I use an off the shelf Compaq Presario 1245 that is a couple of years old now. And I have a deskjet 712C that is about the same age. I don''t really see any reason for buying a marinized laptop.

Haven''t had any problems with mine thus far, but then its not topside when we are out sailing or motoring. I do it the old fashioned way...with GPS and Loran and keep track of my position on my charts.

By the way...it will more than likely be less expensive to purchase a 300W inverter to power the laptop and the printer. The price of a 12VDC cigarette lighter adapter will be more expensive...at least it was for me.

#3 ·
Thanks for info; I already have a TRACE 2500Watt Inverter on board but it is a modified sine wave--thats why I am looking for a small pure sine wave inverter--to charge and run more sensitive electronics and battery chargers. For example, you need a pure sine wave to charge a DeWalt battery pack as well as some of the other 12V tools and I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a PC and printer would fuction better with pure sine wave power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.