Ceramic knife review - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter

Ceramic knife review

From what I understand you need a ceramic blade to cut Dyneema line . So that is why I bought this knife . I have only had it for about a week and I don't have any Dyneema , so this is just a preliminary review . First off this knife is the sharpest knife I have ever owned, by far . I did cut New England double braid with it and it went through with little effort and left a very clean end , like I could not believe , so I got out the Ka-Bar for comparison . It went through with much more effort and the cut was not as clean , and trust me I can sharpen a knife. How long it will hold the edge ? I looked into what it would take to put on a new sharp . I will need a 1,000 grit diamond hone . Nothing to that as Lansky sells one for their sharpening jig that I have .
The fit and finish on this little knife is nice . It has a thumb knob to open (one hand open) and has liner lock , a nice detent at 3/4 open and one at almost closed . And it has a pocket clip Here is where I bought it .
Benchmark® 4" Ceramic Framelock
Here are some pics , I would be interested in your thoughts .

Last edited by Markwesti; 05-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-15-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Ceramic knife review

Looks quite well made Mark, especially for the price. I don't have something similar but do have two or three ceramic knives on board and find them pretty damn good. Don't have the heft of a 'proper' knife but until we are living on board then they certainly do the job.

I'd certainly like a couple of those things to replace older steel blade cockpit/mast knives.
Markwesti likes this.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

I have been carrying the prototype of a ceramic riggers knife from Riggers with Marlin Spike | Ceramic Knife.org for almost a year (I helped design it). Best knife I have ever owned. I had to sharpen it after about six months, but I do a lot of rigging work still. I will never go back.
Markwesti likes this.

Greg
post #4 of 24 Old 05-16-2015 Thread Starter

Stumble , that is a very fine knife you guys came up with . When you sharpen it , how do you do it ?
Andrew , I know what you mean about the galley ceramic knives not having the "heft" as I bought a set for Ms. westi . She won't use them , some times I just don't understand that woman . But I use them , I really like them but I do notice a lightness to them .
post #5 of 24 Old 05-16-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Stumble , that is a very fine knife you guys came up with . When you sharpen it , how do you do it ?
Andrew , I know what you mean about the galley ceramic knives not having the "heft" as I bought a set for Ms. westi . She won't use them , some times I just don't understand that woman . But I use them , I really like them but I do notice a lightness to them .
I have had some kitchen knives in ceramic, and don't like them at all. I never really felt they were that much sharper, and the constant fear of chirping, breaking or otherwise damaging them. I do have some quality French and German steel blades that I keep sharp and find far more satisfying to use. I have had generic, Cuisinart, and Kyocera. The Generic ones have been not at all sharp, though the peeler was pretty good. The Cusinart was not that great, and I did not like the shape of it (paring knife) and the Kyocera is a "micro serrated" and I have never really felt it did a great job. I think the Kyocera was like $150 at the time and was a real waste of money.
Markwesti likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-16-2015 Thread Starter

That's a good one (paring blade not the right shape) that's what Ms. W said about the one I gave her . What German and French steel do you have Paul ? We have Henckels .
post #7 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Mark,

if you ever DO understand that woman, let the rest of us know. You might be on to something.

We bought a couple of ceramic galley knives and love them. Only had them one year so longevity may be an issue but they are at least as sharp as their predecessors and won't rust or corrode. I bought them at Wally World for just a few bucks so if they end up being junk, no big deal.
Markwesti likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Angry Re: Ceramic knife review

Quote:
I follow the directions from Phil (the guy who makes the knife). I am quoting below.

SHARPENING ADVICE
YES it is much more difficult to sharpen ceramic blades due both to the extreme hardness AND the tendency of creating micro-chips on the edge. BUT it is not impossible to both repair small damage or chipping and also to polish and refine the edge to a very high level of sharpness.

The ideal tool of course is a powered diamond wheel with a minimum of 1,000 grit diamond. Even finer grits can be used to truly polish the edge. However, no one I know, except myself, is willing to purchase this kind of equipment.

Polishing the edge to get a higher degree of sharpness if it does become uniformly “dull” can be accomplished with very, very fine silicone carbide wet/dry sandpaper. This is not a fast process but does work and I have been including a small strip of 1500 grit paper with knives sold.

Instructions: Put paper on top of mouse pad or piece of cardboard to provide some compression & better control of knife angle. Now draw the blade away from the edge, (do not cut into the paper), with only a slight elevation of the back of the blade. 20 strokes on each side and then test the edge. You can use from 800 to 2,000 grit paper. Start coarse IF there is more than just polishing required.

I used 1500 grit, and 20 strokes a side. Then went to 2000 grit and an additional 10.

I think it took about 10 minutes. Since then, and since my experiment with letting the knife dull was over I have sharpened it maybe every other week with 2000. Just to keep up the edge.
Markwesti likes this.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (05-16-2015)
post #9 of 24 Old 05-16-2015
Remember you're a womble

I spent $3 on a ceramic paring knife, did the job just fine on my vectran lifelines, dyneema and other bits of line I have cut with it since.
MedSailor and Markwesti like this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Quote:
That's a good one (paring blade not the right shape) that's what Ms. W said about the one I gave her . What German and French steel do you have Paul ? We have Henckels .
For kitchen knives I am a huge fan of Shun. The three I have are easily my favorite knives. The Hinkle's are now relegated to the back of a drawer.
Markwesti likes this.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (05-16-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.