Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2008

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
I have the 1000 on my b27 works great the directions say that the unit is water proof and is sealed and not to open it at all says it is not neccessary to open at all missed out on the wind vane last year for the unit on the bay anyone got one and want to sell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008
brass monkey

bluetommy77 is on a distinguished road
tiller pilot

Thanks CS27,

good info about the TP10, other simrad products. No, I don't intend to link the system with a GPS although I have a lowrance chart plotter I'm currently trying to get to work again (it came off one of the whale watching zodiacs).

We're sailing quite a lot and regularly in 6-12 foot seas, following or otherwise so I'll take your comments about the predictive course corrections and think on them. Looks like a "boat unit" ($500) either way for a decent set up, hey? And the 'screw type' mechanism is more expensive in terms of electricity than the 'recirculating ball'?

I also have some friends on an older ericson 37 which has an unbalanced spade rudder and at least a 6 foot beast of a tiller. I suppose their base is pretty hopeless until they build themselves a properly shaped and balanced spade rudder!
Old 04-26-2008

Carebear562 is on a distinguished road
CS271409 and bluetommy
I too was fooled by jerryr's post, but it got you guys talking and I'm listening.

You seem to be having good success with the Simrad TP10 on Cs27's, which I also have. But you say you are not connecting it to other instruments. How can the tiller pilot sail the boat without being connected to a wind instrument? Are you only using it under power? I want to connect it to a Raymarine ST-40 wind instrument (so the tiller pilot can hold a set wind angle).

Our Raymarine dealer is checking into becoming a Simrad dealer as well, but advises me that there may be interface problems between a Raymarine wind instrument and a Simrad tiller pilot.

What do you suggest?

Cheers! Carebear562
Old 04-26-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carebear562 View Post
CS271409 and bluetommy
I too was fooled by jerryr's post, but it got you guys talking and I'm listening.

You seem to be having good success with the Simrad TP10 on Cs27's, which I also have. But you say you are not connecting it to other instruments. How can the tiller pilot sail the boat without being connected to a wind instrument? Are you only using it under power? I want to connect it to a Raymarine ST-40 wind instrument (so the tiller pilot can hold a set wind angle).

Our Raymarine dealer is checking into becoming a Simrad dealer as well, but advises me that there may be interface problems between a Raymarine wind instrument and a Simrad tiller pilot.

What do you suggest?

Cheers! Carebear562
MY C-27 had the Simrad wp30 - and I had the full complement of Raymarine C-80 and St-60 stuff... it all works under the NMEA standard. If you have a specific question on how to make it work I can give you the insight .... they work well together...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Actually I believe Simrad owns Navico.
I have a Simrad under deck autopilot and love it. In reviewing the tillerpilot options it appears there is little functional difference between the 10 and the 22 except for the ability to integrate other electronics...they are both screw driven and power and thrust specs are quite close. The 32 uses a recirculating design and is significantly more powerful so would be my choice for mediuum to larger size tiller steered vessels as you ALWAYS want more auto pilot capability than you think you need unless you are just using one as "crew" in protected waters.
Old 04-27-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I have used a Navico TP1800 for over 10 years on my 30 ft Cal with very good success. I believe this unit is the predecessor of the Simrad 10. I have found it is important to properly balance your boat with just a bit of weather helm to get the unit to work well. Unit is great on cruises when motoring for any length of time.
Old 04-27-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Simrad TP10

I have had a TP10 on my Catalina 27 for several years. It works fine under sail with no interface, but you may need to make periodic adjustments to your course. I use it mostly when motoring, but since I am almost always shorthanded, it gets used a lot under sail as well. I have done a couple of overnight races doublehanded, where you are allowed an autopilot. It was used almost all the time, including a 9 hour stretch under chute, until the wind and following seas got to a point where no autopilot would have steered. It's not perfect, but it is well worth the money, and I would buy the same thing again.
Old 04-27-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
I have the TP-10. I don't use it often but it works great when conditions are stable. I think I have to adjust the gain as it makes too many tiny adjustments responding to wave action.
Old 07-11-2008

capitaodeareia is on a distinguished road
I don't obtain success in connecting my tp32 with the garmin 276C using nmea 0183. Did anybody already manage to do that?
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Capita- You really shouldn't post multiple threads on the exact same topic.

As I said in the other thread you asked this same question in:

Quote:
Two things to check.

First, the Garmin 276C is set to the Garmin protocol, not NMEA 0183 by default. You need to change the serial port setup to NMEA and check the settings. They should be 4800 baud, 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop bit.

Second, Garmin doesn't use a signal ground, so you have to connect the Simrad's NMEA In - line to the 12 VDC system ground.

That should do it.

BTW, you really should start a new thread when you have questions that are essentially off-topic. I'd also recommend you read the post in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitaodeareia View Post
I don't obtain success in connecting my tp32 with the garmin 276C using nmea 0183. Did anybody already manage to do that?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.