Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2001
jerryr

Simrad Tiller Pilot

I am looking at a Simrad Tiller Pilot 10 for my Bristol 27 (6600 lbs). Anyone have any experience with this device?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008

Carebear562 is on a distinguished road
Hi jerryr

I bought a CS27 last year (tiller steering) with an Autopilot 1000 which does not work and I can't get it fixed. So I am also in the market and am looking at Simrad.

You may have looked at other bulletin boards. On one, a person was critical of the Raymarine for not being weather tight. Another criticized the Raymarine ST2000 as not having as good a gear mechanism as the ST1000. Another said the Simrad was harder to use than a Raymarine tiller pilot.

I am with you on this one. Let's see what replies you get.

Cheers! John C
Old 04-08-2008

steki30 is on a distinguished road
No problems

I've had the Simrad tiller pilot on an Alerion Express 28 for four years without any problems. I single-hand most of the time and the Simrad is invaluable assistance that I have come to rely upon. When I selected it over the Raymarine, I did so because of the slightly better specs it offers.
Old 04-08-2008

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Hope to see more feedback

I am also looking at the Simrad for our Endeavour 33- it seems they are not actively marketed in the US anymore - I have read this is due to the dollar -Euro rates. But it is still possible to get one- I was looking at the Simrad 32.

I'll be watching the resonses- thanks, Saltypat
Old 04-08-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
I had the simrad tiller pilot on an O'Day 25. It worked fine the two years I owned it. Just got word it finally died 2 years after I sold the boat. Both of us solo most of the time and sail a lot, so it got a workout. Not bad life for $300. Sure beat my $1000 Raycrap S1 Wheelpilot that lasted 12 days
Old 04-08-2008

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
JerryR (and Carebear562)
I have a CS27 that came with a non-functional autopilot (forgot the brand... something not made anymore). After some research, I bought a Simrad TP10 which was far more modestly priced that comparable Raymarine tiller pilots. It has done the job for us over three seasons. It's primary purpose is to hold our course on relatively long stretches from southern Lake Huron to Tobermory and beyond to the North Channel and the rest of Georgian Bay (aka God's Country). Also useful when I'm BBQing on relatively flat water as we motorsail. Last year we sailed home overnight and the TP10 ran for about 16 hours without a complaint. The stroke on most tiller pilots is limited so you won't be tacking on a dime using the autotack feature but for good basic inexpensive and accurate control where you don't want to interface with other instuments, I would give the TP10 a good grade. The seastate and gain features are useful. I can rarely wait for it to self detect the seastate and usually set it manually, mess it up, then revert back to auto-detect. Time will tell how long it will last. Hopefully I will be successful attaching a picture of "Auto at Work" (Either that or a meaningless jumble of letters will appear below.)

Old 04-08-2008

Holy cow... I just realized that we are responding to a 6 1/2 year old post. Surely some kind of a record. Presumably JerryR either has his TP or not. Carebear562... this one is for you.

Welcome to Sailnet! You will want to read this link to get the most out of Sailnet.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...tml#post240053

Another CS27! yeah. Here is my boat:
Let's see some CS Yachts
Old 04-08-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
simrad at work

As long as we are posting pictures, here is a quick video I shot with a really obsolete digital camera, but it shows the TP10 holding a decent course in slop south of Charleston. Winds were 20-25 knots if my memory serves, and I was under double reef with a mule. That little solar panel (1.5Watts) was enough to keep me going for about 3 days running the TP10. At that time I only had a handheld VHF & GPS so no other power draw. I miss the simple life!

look at that tiller arm bend!

Last edited by sailboy21; 04-08-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2008
brass monkey

bluetommy77 is on a distinguished road
no, please keep the post up, i'm really interested in the conversation too... as far as i can see... just two companies for tiller pilots... simrad and raymarine?
Old 04-09-2008

Bluetommy,
There may be others but I didn't come across them when I did my research a few years ago. You usally get what you pay for and in my case, I needed a simple and inexpensive tiller pilot to hold course, possibly for long periods of time. The TP10 is a screw drive type of mechanism as opposed to a more expensive but more efficient recirculating ball which is found in the TP32 and higher end Raymarine units. The "lock to lock" time is a function of it's power and the TP10 is fine for my purposes put won't turn the boat on a dime as some more expensive units will. If I recall correctly, the stroke is more or less the same between the high cost and low cost units... but the higher cost units will cover that stroke faster. Higher cost units can also be linked with other electronics. I'm not sure what I would do with that feature but if you want it, the TP10 is not for you.
Note that tiller pilots are no good in a sea following on the stern quarter where some "predictive" steering is required. "Sea state" features in the TP notwithstanding (can't believe I used that word in a sailing discussion!) , I don't know if any auto pilot would hold an adequate course in a 2.5 metre sea off the starboard quarter as we had for 6 or 8 hours last year on Lake Huron.
I assume you are in the market for a Tiller Pilot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.