SIRIUSXM satellite hardware question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

SIRIUSXM satellite hardware question

SIRIUSXM satellite hardware question. I have a JVC KD-X320BTS car dash radio that is marked SiriusXM ready. If I add a SiriusXM SXV300v1 receiver and a Audiovox Sirius SIRMARINE Marine Mount Antenna am I good to go. Or am I missing something?

Is there any point in buying the Garmin antenna unit at 10 times the price?

I know I need a Sirius subscription to activate the service.

C'mon you tech guys, help out a satellite radio numpty.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2015

Re: SIRIUSXM satellite hardware question

If you are just looking to get XM radio I think you just need the Sirius XM tuner.
The Garmin antenna unit is for the XMradio Marine weather service, which also has a hefty subscription price.
I installed a SiriusXM Satellite Radio XEZ1V1 ($35, plugged into aux jack on my stereo) last week and have the small antenna temporarily taped under the fiberglass deck waiting for a shot of adhesive. Didn't want to drill unnecessary holes and it works fine. Just make sure you point the correct side to the sky, activate the radio and you are good to go.
If you want the weather service, sorry, I can't help.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I don't want the weather stuff it is an extra $400 a year and does not cover my area.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2015

I also use the little cheap ($30 - $40) receiver, powered by a USB to 12 volt adapter, and plug it into the aux input of my radio/cd player, and use the cheap antenna that came with it.

It was much cheaper than getting the add on to my car radio. Also I can easily move it from car, home ,or boat.

Paul
1985 Catalina 36
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
SIRIUSXM satellite hardware question. I have a JVC KD-X320BTS car dash radio that is marked SiriusXM ready. If I add a SiriusXM SXV300v1 receiver and a Audiovox Sirius SIRMARINE Marine Mount Antenna am I good to go. Or am I missing something?

Is there any point in buying the Garmin antenna unit at 10 times the price?

I know I need a Sirius subscription to activate the service.

C'mon you tech guys, help out a satellite radio numpty.
I believe Sirus ready indicates that the radio will control a Sirus tuner. There may be a harness between the radio and the tuner. Shakespeare makes a couple of nice low profile marine satellite antennas. I have a Sirus set up but it is controlled by the tuner nor the radio and is only connected with an auxiliary plug.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2015
4ksb expert.

I used a "home dock" and home antenna, and mounted it on the stern of my Capri 25.. worked like a charm. I can't recall it ever being blocked by anything... once maybe when I was heeling 30+ degrees

I had a cigarette 12V outlet next to my dock for XM, but the whole thing worked quite well. So my suggestion is an available open spot on the stern somewhere for the antenna, I got the flip up outdoor antenna, and mounted it farther out on the stern than anything else.

Your JVC receiver looks exactly like my new one, I gotta look and see if mine has the sirius control option.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2015
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

if your A/V receiver or audio system says Sirius- or XM-Ready, it simply means that it's capable of giving you a seamless, fully integrated satellite radio experience. You'll likely just have to add a compatible tuner to your A/V receiver or audio system. Once you've got that, you'll be able to use the remote from your A/V receiver to search and navigate SiriusXM right on your stereo screen or TV. You'll also have to call us (at 1-866-635-2349) That is all i know

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.